Family Discovers Their House is a Former Meth House

A Queensland family is suffering health issues due to their meth contaminated home

Imagine moving into a rental home only to discover months later it’s a dangerously contaminated former ice den. That’s what happened to Anthony and Sophie Turner, and experts say tens of thousands more Aussies could be at risk.

If they knew then what they know now, Anthony and Sophie would never have moved their family into this Gold Coast property last December.

For months the family suffered migraines, nausea, vomiting and rashes before discovering the house itself was making them sick.

Dr. Jackie Wright, a meth contamination expert, said the health effects they’re exhibiting are consistent with what we see with other people who are living in meth contaminated properties.

To make things even worse, many items in a meth contaminated house have to be thrown out and those that can be salvaged require professional cleaning.

Cooking and even just smoking ice in houses leaves behind dangerous residue that can stay there for decades.

Police bust about 700 meth labs each year and it’s estimated there are ten times more they don’t find. And with 1.3 million Aussies admitting to trying the drug - that’s a lot of potentially contaminated houses.

Ryan Matthews of Meth Screen, a company that tests for meth residue in properties, said that “across the board between 8 to 12 per cent of all dwellings have a presence of methamphetamine.”

He said, the worst he’s seen is “a level of 1800 micrograms in the laundry in an apartment in Melbourne… 2500 times over the safe level and no one had a clue.”

At the moment there’s no specific obligation on Australian landlords and agents to test for or report meth contamination, so is it time we had this changed?