Home Affairs Portfolio Spokesperson Statement
Regardig Hakeem al-Araibi's detention in Thailand
- Membership of Interpol creates certain obligations on member agencies.
- The Interpol National Central Bureau in Australia advised Thai authorities in relation to the scheduled arrival of a person who was the subject of an Interpol Red Notice.
- The Interpol Red Notice was not put in place by Australia; the existence of the Interpol Red Notice would have come to the attention of Thai authorities when the person attempted to enter Thailand.
- Any action taken in response to the Interpol Red Notice is a matter for Thai authorities.
- Any further questions on this matter are a matter for Thai authorities.