Advertisement

Sydney Suburbs Rocked By Four 'Spineless' Drive-By Shootings In Two Days

A family of seven was the latest target in a string of drive-by shootings across Sydney this week.

The attack, which took place in the early hours of Wednesday morning, saw 18 shots fired at the family home on Charles Street in Ryde, while all seven of its residents -- including a two-year-old toddler -- were inside.

At least seven of the bullets were found lodged in the front bedroom window of the house. Luckily, no one was asleep inside that room at the time.

Several bullets were shot at the window of the family' front bedroom. PHOTO: Steve Hart

Four more bullet holes were found in a car parked outside, which was towed away by investigators on Wednesday afternoon as forensic officers scoured the property.

Terrified neighbours told 10 News First how they woke to the sound of multiple gunshots. They said the shooting was very unusual for the quiet and "family-oriented" suburb.

It's believed a semi-automatic weapon may have been used to carry out the attack, but investigators are still piecing together CCTV footage to track down the getaway car.

Four bullets were fired into a car outside the Ryde property. PHOTO: 10 News First

One of the home's residents left the house early on Wednesday morning and said it was a "rough night" for his family, adding that he had "no idea" why his home was targeted by such a vicious attack.

But police are now probing whether this latest incident is linked to three other drive-by shooting in Sydney's west this week.

Wednesday's attack on the house in Ryde occurred just 20 minutes after a home in Regents Park was also shot at.

That house, on Yukka Street, had already been a target of another drive-by shooting just 24 hours earlier.

While police believe the attacks on the Regents Park home were targeted, Detective Inspector Chris Laird told media on Wednesday that investigators believe the actual target was the home's previous owner -- not its current residents.

Luckily, nobody was injured in either of the shootings, but the occupants have understandably been left upset after a "large number of shots" lodged in the premises.

A home in Regents Park was targeted twice in 24 hours.

The third shooting on Tuesday, at a Berala real estate agent just two kilometres away, was also believed to be linked, but police believe that the agent was simply "in the line of fire" and not the specific target.

Police said a stolen red Suzuki swift was used in the attacks on Tuesday morning.

The car was found 10 minutes after the final shooting, burnt out on a road in a nearby suburb.

Detective Inspector Laird slammed the incidents as "spineless" and "cowardly" and said having three shootings in the same command area was a "major concern" for police.

'Public place shootings have significantly reduced in the last five years," Laird said.

"We can't let this happen again."

Police are probing whether the Ryde shooting is linked to three other targeted drive-by attacks in Sydney's west. PHOTO: Viki Gerova

Laird said police are now seeking the former resident of the Regents Park home, as well as anyone who may have any information or dashcam footage related to any of the incidents this week.

He said the community should be reassured that police have deployed a number of extra resources to protect them from further attacks.

"If it's in terms of gang warfare, the police we're a big gang and that's what we're here to do is to try and intervene with these two warring groups."

On Wednesday afternoon, police arrested a 33-year-old man in a raid on a home in Berala, over the alleged possession of a prohibited weapon.

The arrest was part of a proactive police operation to prevent and disrupt public act of violence, including shootings, and target the possession and supply of illicit firearms, as they continue to investigate the earlier shootings in Regents Park and Berala.

The man is assisting police inquiries and no charges have yet been laid.

Featured Image: Viki Gerova