Aussie Jock Palfreeman Remains Stuck In Bulgaria After Prison Release
Jock Palfreeman says Bulgarian authorities continue to "violate" his free movement despite the overturning of a "travel ban" earlier this week.
The Sofia Administrative Court overturned a 2011 ban on Palfreeman, local media reported on January 27, ruling that it was only applicable when a foreigner was subject to an effective prison sentence.
But the 33-year-old Australian, who always disputed the legality of the "travel ban" for the above reason, said a return home is still impossible.
"The border police won't let me go," he told AAP on Thursday.
They have violated my right to free movement for the last four months and counting.
Palfreeman, released on parole in September, served 11 years of a 20-year sentence after being found guilty of murder and attempted murder in the stabbing of two Bulgarian youths, one of whom died, during a street melee in 2007.
But in extraordinary circumstances, a request made in October by then Prosecutor General Sotir Tsatsarov to re-open his early release trial was granted, despite the fact that appeal court parole judgements are final and cannot be reviewed.
This hearing, set for Bulgaria's highest court, was supposed to happen by early December, but neither Palfreeman nor his lawyer, Kalin Angelov, have received word yet.
The Sydney man, who this month received a certificate of appreciation from a Bulgarian human rights group, has always maintained he acted in self-defence.
Sydney Man Jock Palfreeman Released From Bulgarian Prison After 11 Years
Bulgaria was set to release Jock Palfreeman from an immigration detention centre on Tuesday, more than three weeks after a court granted parole to the Australian convicted of murder, a senior interior ministry official said.