Shot Hong Kong Teenager Charged With Attacking Police

The teenager who was the first victim of police gunfire in Hong Kong's months-long pro-democracy protests has been charged with attacking police and rioting.

The shooting occurring during widespread violence across the semi-autonomous Chinese territory that marred China's National Day celebrations and has deepened anger against police, who have been accused of being heavy-handed against protesters.

READ MORE: Hong Kong Protester Shot By Police

The officer fired as 18-year-old Tsang Chi-kin struck him with a metal rod Tuesday. The government has said Tsang's condition was stable after surgery.

The moment the shot was fired. Image: Twitter

Tsang will be one of seven people charged with rioting and faces two additional counts of attacking police, a statement said.

Rioting carries a possible penalty of up to 10 years in prison.

Thousands of people rallied to demand police accountability for the shooting, with many saying the use of lethal weaponry was unjustified.

Police fire tear gas to disperse anti-government protesters in Hong Kong. Image: Getty

Pockets of black-clad youths vented their anger late Wednesday night, lobbing gas bombs at police quarters, vandalising subway stations and blocking traffic in several districts. Police responded with tear gas in some areas.

Anti-government protesters set cardboard boxes on fire during protests in Hong Kong. Image: AAP

More than 1,000 students marched on Thursday at the Chinese University in a continuing show of support for Tsang and vowing to keep up their fight for more democratic freedoms. Many students felt that firing at Tsang's chest, close to his heart, was an attempt to kill him.

Pro-democracy protesters hold placards and sing songs as they gather in a park during a rally. Image: Getty

The lawyer for an Indonesian journalist who was injured when police fired a projectile during protests on Sunday said she will be left blind in one eye.

But police defended that shooting as "reasonable and lawful" as the officer had feared for his life and that of his colleagues.