Advertisement

Sleeping Schoolgirl Killed By Exploding Phone

A teenager has died after the battery inside her smartphone exploded next to her head while she was sleeping.

Alua Asetkyzy Abzalbek, 14, was listening to music with her smartphone resting on her pillow when she drifted off to sleep inside her village home in Bastobe, Kazakhstan.

The next morning, she was found dead after the phone's battery exploded. It's believed she suffered severe head injuries and died instantly.

Police confirmed that the device had been plugged into the power socket at the time.

Forensic experts analysed the phone and concluded that the explosion occurred in the early morning after overheating, local media reports.

The girl's death has been described as a "tragic accident"

Her friend Ayazhan Dolasheva posted a tribute on social media saying her "heart is breaking"

READ MORE: Teen Dies After Phone Falls Into Bath While Charging: Reports

“We have been together since childhood. It is so hard for me without you. I still don't believe it. I miss you so much.

"Remember I loved you very much and will continue to love you," she continued.

It's not yet known what brand of phone it was.

Irina Rybinikova. Image: Instagram / seegeevna pankration

It's not the first device-related death. In December, a Russian teenager died after she dropped her phone into a bath while it was charging.

The 15-year-old, identified by local media as Irina Rybinikova, was electrocuted and couldn't be revived.