Advertisement

'My Innocence Did Not Save Me': Amanda Knox Breaks Down Reliving Murder Trial

More than three years after being acquitted over the brutal murder of her housemate Meredith Kercher, Amanda Knox has returned to Italy for the first time since her release from prison.

The American woman, who was at the centre of one of the most publicised murder trials of the last decade, broke down at a conference on criminal justice as she relived the eight years of trials and appeals in her case.

"I was innocent. But the rest of the world had decided I was guilty," Knox said at a convention on wrongful convictions and miscarriages of justice in Modena on Saturday.

Amanda Knox delivers a speech during a panel session entitled 'Trial by Media.' PHOTO Getty Images

An emotional Knox blamed prosecutors and international media organisations for making it "impossible" for her to have a fair trial, and said she was depicted as "psychopathic".

"Prosecutors and the media had created a story, and a version of me that suited that story, into which people could put all their fantasies, fears and moral judgements," Knox said.

And people liked this story. The dirty, psychopathic, man eater 'Foxy Knoxy'.

In 2007, Knox's housemate Kercher, 21, from Britain, was found brutally raped, stabbed to death and with her throat slit in her bedroom in the central Italian city of Perugia, where both women had been studying.

The brutality of the attack on Kercher, alleged sex games and multiple trials provided years of fodder for tabloids on both sides of the Atlantic, and inspired books and films.

British exchange student Meredith Kercher in Perugia. PHOTO: Getty Images

Knox and her boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were convicted of the murder in 2009.

Knox, who was aged 20 at the time, was initially found guilty of manslaughter at her first trial and sentenced to 26 years in an Italian prison.

She spent four years behind bars before she was definitively cleared in 2015 after an eight-year legal battle.

Amanda Knox escorted by police upon her arrival at a court hearing in Perugia in 2008. PHOTO: Getty Images

In January this year, Italy was ordered to pay upwards of $29,000 in damages to Knox, after a European Court of Human Rights found she had been "maliciously" prosecuted.

READ MORE: Italy Ordered To Pay Damages To Amanda Knox After Unfair Murder Trial

READ MORE: Amanda Knox Has A True Crime Podcast Now

Now, more than three years since her conviction was thrown out, Knox said she was still worried that there would be fresh accusations levelled against her.

"Many people think I'm crazy about coming here," she told the audience in Italy.

"I was told ... that I will be attacked in the streets, that I will be falsely accused and sent back to prison."

"And actually I'm afraid today, now, I'm afraid of being harassed, I'm afraid of being mocked, I'm afraid of being framed, and I'm afraid that new accusations will be addressed to me just because I came here to tell my version of the facts."

PHOTO: Getty Images

Knox said she was also aware people believed her presence in Italy might "traumatise" Kercher's family, but said those accusations were wrong.

However, the Kercher family's lawyer said Knox's return to Italy was "inappropriate" self-promotion, the ABC reported.

Knox, who now lives in Seattle, is in Italy for the first time since she was acquitted. She's not expected to return to Perugia during her brief stay in Italy, according to the ANSA news agency.

With Reuters/AAP.

Contact the author: vgerova@networkten.com.au