Christchurch Terror Attack Death Toll Rises To 51
A Turkish man wounded in the attack on mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch has died in hospital, raising the death toll from the shootings to 51.
Turkey's government overnight announced one of its citizens had died from the wounds he sustained in the March 15 terror attacks that killed 50 and injured 50 more.
New Zealand police separately confirmed a 46-year-old man who had been in critical condition in Christchurch's public hospital since the shootings had died.
He had been injured at the Al Noor mosque, the first of two sites attacked, they said. He cannot be publicly named in New Zealand because of a court order.
The man's brother told Turkey's state-run Anadolu news agency he had been taken to surgery on Thursday but he could not be saved after battling for 50 days.
He is the second person to die in hospital following the attack and the first since the day of the shootings.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern expressed her condolences.
"This sad news will be felt across Turkey as well as New Zealand," she said in a statement on Friday.
Nine other people shot remain in hospitals around the country, all in stable condition.
Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, 28, faces 50 counts of murder and 38 of attempted murder over the shootings.
He is due to appear again in court next month.
Police on Friday declined to comment if further charges were pending.