Man Spiked Maccas Ice Cream With Prescription Pills

An Auckland man has pleaded guilty to spiking ice cream at a McDonald's store in New Zealand's capital.

The 22-year-old man, who cannot be identified, admitted to putting prescription medication in sundaes served from a west Auckland McDonald's in May last year.

He has been charged with one count of attempting to stupefy after several ice creams from the Te Atatu McDonald's were found to be contaminated

Te Atatu McDonald's. Image: Google Maps

Police confirmed he was not an employee of McDonald's at the time of the incident.

Many people didn't realise the food was contaminated until after they began to eat them at home.

READ MORE: CCTV Captures Men Spiking Woman's Drink Before Sexually Assaulting Her

READ MORE: Drink Spiking: How Can You Protect Yourself?

"We ate them at home, and we all found traces and whole pills of prescription medicine. My sister ingested one. I found one in my mouth and spat it out," one person said on social media.

"The police are involved. We got off so lucky. Had a child ingested it. There would be more of an issue. I don't know who would do such a thing but its disgusting [sic]!!"

Image: Getty Images

Another person told the NZ Herald that their sister said the ice cream had an "extremely funny taste" while eating it jut before she found a pill in it.

"We went straight to hospital they said it was someone's medication. But it's not enough to do any damage so suggested keeping going with police."

McDonald's has confirmed an internal investigation cleared staff of any wrongdoing.