Sri Lanka Bombings Death Toll Lowered By 100
Sri Lankan officials revised the death toll from Easter Sunday bombings down by about 100 on Thursday, blaming the difficulty in identifying body parts at bomb scenes for the earlier inaccurate number.
Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando resigned over the failure to prevent the attacks, although he insisted on Thursday that the authorities had been acting in response to intelligence tips from India warning of imminent attacks.
“We were working on that. All those agencies were working on that,” Fernando told Reuters.
He said he had resigned to take responsibility for institutions he ran, but said there had been no failure on his part.
Police issued names and photographs of four men and three women wanted in connection with the attacks, as bomb scares and security sweeps kept the country on edge.
Most of the victims were Sri Lankans, although authorities have said at least 38 foreigners were also killed, many tourists sitting to breakfast at top-end hotels when the bombers struck.
They included British, U.S., Australian, Turkish, Indian, Chinese, Danish, Dutch and Portuguese nationals.
About 500 people were wounded.
READ MORE: Travel Warning Issued Against Sri Lanka
Australia on Thursday warned its nationals to avoid the country unless it was absolutely necessary as there could be more attacks.