Advertisement

Mother And Daughter Named As Australians Killed In Sri Lanka Bombing

A mother and her 10-year-old daughter have been named as the two Australians killed in the horrific Sri Lankan terror attacks.

Manik Suriaaratchi and her daughter Alexandria were both among the 290 people killed in the Easter Sunday attack, it has been confirmed.

Friend Lucien Pereira posted on Facebook that they "will never be forgotten and always be in our hearts".

Another friend, Fahim Mawjood, posted a photo of the mother and daughter on Facebook.

"It's really shocking to know that you are no longer here with us," Mawjood said.

"You lost your lives on a holy day in a holy place. The sweet memories of Alex and yours will live in our hearts forever. May your souls rest in peace Manik and Alex."

Manik Suriaaratchi and her 10-year-old daughter Alexandria. Image: Facebook

10 daily has contacted both Pereira and Mawjood for confirmation; both have confirmed to other news outlets.

Mawjood told SBS that Suriaaratchi's husband was parking the car at the time of the blast, and is uninjured.

Earlier, Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed that two Australian citizens living in Sri Lanka were killed in the attack.

READ MORE: Massive Death Toll After Easter Church Massacre

READ MORE: Devastating Photos From Inside The Sri Lankan Churches Destroyed By Explosions

"We deeply regret these deaths and we extend our deepest and most sincere sympathies to the family," Morrison said.

Another two Australians were among the hundreds injured, he confirmed. One is being treated for shrapnel wounds, while the other suffered a broken leg.

"As the days pass, and the injured are treated, and some of them succumb to their wounds as well, we are seeing this massacre going from what was bad -- very bad -- to much, much worse," Morrison said.

Image: Getty Images

Almost 300 people were killed and hundreds more were injured after seven simultaneous blasts rocked three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka on Sunday. An eighth explosion occured at a house during a raid, killing three police officers.

Seven people have so far been arrested over the attacks, according to the Sri Lankan Defence Minister. No group has yet claimed responsibility.

The attacks are believed to be the work of seven suicide bombers as part of a intentional network, a government spokesperson said.

The Grand Mufti of Australia strongly condemned the attack, saying the Muslim community stands in solidarity with the victims, "who were peacefully worshipping in Churches".

"We send our condolences to our Christian fellows in Sri Lanka and everywhere else in the world," Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohammed said.

"We support and stand together with Churches leaders and the Christian community in this horrific incident.

"May Allah protect us all from the harm of terrorism, discrimination and hatred and that peace be spread across all countries in the world."

Relatives of a victim grieve in Sri Lanka. Photo: AAP.

Labor leader Bill Shorten described the attack was "senseless and barbaric", telling reporters that "at a time like this, we are all Australians."

In Victoria -- where just under half of the country's 86,000 strong Sri Lankan Australian population -- public buildings will be lit up in solidarity, premier Daniel Andrews confirmed.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs have advised Australians to avoid the area until the situation stabilises.

The government has blocked access to social media and messaging services -- including Facebook and WhatsApp -- in a bid to reduce the spread of fake news, Retuers reports.