Advertisement

World Leaders, Celebrities And Sports Stars Condemn 'Cruel' Sri Lanka Attacks

A series of explosions that ripped through the capital of Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday have been condemned globally.

More than 200 people have died and hundreds more have been injured after six simultaneous blasts rocked three churches and three hotels.

Hours later two more explosions were reported by police as the government declared an island-wide curfew between the hours of 6pm and 6am.

The explosions, several of which occurred while crowds gathered in churches for Easter Sunday mass have been condemned by leaders around the world.

An injured tourist crosses the road in front of the National Hospital at Colombo, Sri Lanka. Image: Getty

World leaders have also condemned the attack, including Jacinda Ardern whose country also suffered at the hands of a terror attack earlier this year.

"New Zealand condemns all acts of terrorism, and our resolve has only been strengthened by the attack on our soil on the 15th of March," Ardern said in a statement distributed to local media.

"New Zealand rejects all forms of extremism and stands for freedom of religion and the right to worship safely. Collectively we must find the will and the answers to end such violence.''

Pope Francis the leader of the Catholic Church described the attacks as "such cruel violence" during his traditional Easter Sunday message in front of tens of thousands at St Peter's Square.

“I learned with sadness and pain of the news of the grave attacks, that precisely today, Easter, brought mourning and pain to churches and other places where people were gathered in Sri Lanka,” the Pope said.

“I wish to express my affectionate closeness to the Christian community, hit while it was gathered in prayer, and to all the victims of such cruel violence."

A photo uploaded by St. Sebastian's Church in Negombo after the blast. Photo: Facebook

Prime Minister Scott Morrison also condemned the attacks and said his first priority was to follow through on the safety of all Australians in Sri Lanka currently.

"There are many Australians who do travel in this area and the information that is coming out of Sri Lanka is very confused at this point, as you’d expect it to be after such an horrific incident," he said.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten also said he was devastated by news of the attacks.

U.S. President Donald Trump also offered the heartfelt condolences of the nation and offered the country's support to Sri Lanka.

He issued a revised tweet after earlier tweeting that the number of casualties stood in the millions.

Cricketers and other sports stars have also paid their respects to the victims.

Celebrities waking up to the news around the world have also issued statements and expressed sympathies to victims.

Any Australians concerned about loved ones in Sri Lanka should call 1300 555 135.

Affected Australians should contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas

Featured Image: AFP/Getty Images