Child Who Plunged From Shopping Centre Balcony Showing "Real Signs Of Recovery"

A five-year-old boy who authorities say was thrown from a third-floor balcony at Mall of America in Minnesota is showing "real signs of recovery," a lawyer for the boy's family told CBS on Friday.

Police said the suspect, Emmanuel Aranda, told them he went to the mall "looking for someone to kill" and chose the boy at random.

"We have good news to share with you on this Good Friday. Our miracle child is showing real signs of recovery. New test results have been positive, though he remains in intensive care with a long road ahead," attorney Stephen Tillitt said Friday on behalf of the boy's family.

Surveillance video shows Aranda walking in the mall on the third floor, looking over the balcony several times, before approaching the victim and his mother, CBS Minnesota reports.

READ MORE: World Reacts To Schoolgirl Burnt Alive After Reporting Sexual Harassment

READ MORE: WATCH: The Shocking Moment A Toddler Falls Out Of A Moving Car

The mother of the boy told authorities Aranda approached them and, without warning, picked the boy up and threw him over the side of the balcony.

The child plunged almost 12 metres, suffering massive head trauma and broken arms and legs, according to CBS Minnesota.

Tillitt said the family continues requesting privacy as they focus on their son and his recovery, but updates will be shared with the community.

"Just know that we absolutely feel your overwhelming love, prayers and support, for they seem to be working. Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts," Tillitt said on behalf of the family.

A GoFundMe campaign set up for the family has raised more than $900,000 in six days, fast approaching the $1 million goal.

Emmanuel Aranda told police he went to the mall "looking for someone to kill" and chose the boy at random. Image: Bloomington Police Department/Handout via REUTERS.

Aranda appeared behind a glass partition Tuesday in a courtroom at the Hennepin County jail. Asked by the judge whether he had any questions, he said, "Not at all."

Aranda remains in jail on $2 million bond.

According to a criminal complaint, Aranda told investigators after his arrest he was angry over being rejected by women he attempted to talk to at the mall, "and the rejection caused him to lash out and be aggressive."

Featured Image: Getty