World Reacts To Schoolgirl Burnt Alive After Reporting Sexual Harassment


A teenage schoolgirl in Bangladesh has been burnt alive after reporting her headmaster for sexual harassment.

Nusrat Jahan Rafi, 19, died on April 10, nearly a week after she had been set on fire for reporting the headmaster of her Islamic school in Feni, 160 kilometres southwest of Dhaka.

On March 27, Rafi had been called to her headmaster's office but fled after he allegedly touched her inappropriately.

Nusrat Jahan Rafi. Image: Family Handout

She then gave a statement to the police, which according to the BBC, was filmed on an officer's phone.

In the video she is told by police the assault was "no big deal", and told to remove her hands from her face as she hid behind them.

Police arrested the headmaster, but a large group of people, including local politicians, began protesting for his release.

Protestors returned to the streets, but this time to demand justice for Rafi. Image: Getty Images

On April 6, Rafi returned to her school to sit exams but was lured to the rooftop after being told her friend was being beaten up.

But instead, four or five people wearing burqas were waiting for her and demanded she withdraw the accusations against her headmaster.

When she refused, the group poured kerosene over her and set her on fire.

A different organisation held a protest rally against the murder of Nusrat Jahan Rafi. Image: Getty Images

“I tried to take my sister to school and tried to enter the premises, but I was stopped and wasn’t allowed to enter,” Nusrat’s brother, Mahmudul Hasan Noman, told the BBC.

“If I hadn’t been stopped, something like this wouldn’t have happened to my sister.”

With burns covering 80 percent of her body, she recorded a message on her brother's phone in the ambulance.

"The teacher touched me, I will fight this crime till my last breath," she said.

Relatives of Nusrat Jahan Rafi at her funeral. Images: Getty Images

Less than a week after the attack, Rafi died from her injuries. She was buried on April 11., with huge crowds gathering in her hometown to lay her to rest.

Protests have taken place in Feni, calling for justice for Rafi, while it has taken over a week for the world to learn of her story.

People all around the world have been reacting with horror, condemning the killing of Rafi.

Fifteen people have been arrested over the alleged killing, and the headmaster remains in custody. An internal investigation has also been launched by police into those who investigated the original complaints.