'House of Horrors' Turpin Couple Sentenced To Life For Torturing Their 13 Children
David and Louise Turpin will be behind bars until at least 2043 for the torture and abuse of their children over several years.
The Turpin's children were found starved and living in a dark, filthy room in their house in Perris, California on January 14, 2018.
Ahead of sentencing, two of the children addressed the court before the sentencing.
“My parents took my whole life from me,” the Turpin’s eldest daughter told the court.
“I saw my dad change my mum. They almost changed me.”
Mother Louise Turpin sobbed through the hearing.
“I love both my parents so much,” son Joshua said, reading a statement from his younger sister Jessica.
However, Judge Bernard J Schwartz was far less forgiving.
“Your actions were selfish, cruel and inhumane,” he said.
Schwartz handed both parents a non-parole period of 25 years and ordered they not contact the children in any way.
The Turpin's years of abuse came undone when two of their children escaped their house through the window on January 14.
While one of the children returned home out of fear, the 17-year-old daughter continued, and with a mobile phone in her possession called 911.
The contents of that call was played during the preliminary hearing of the parents last year, but the full recording has now been obtained by ABC News America.
The girl described the appalling conditioning she and her siblings had been living in during the 20-minute phone call.
“Okay, I live in a family of 15 people and my parents are abusive," she said.
“My two little sisters right now are chained up right now… they’re chained up to their bed.”
She goes on to say she hadn't had a bath in over a year and that sometimes she "couldn't breathe because how dirty the house is".
The girl's lack of understanding of the outside world is apparent when the dispatcher asks her if any of her siblings were on medication.
"Oh, I don’t know what medication is," she replied.
The girl also struggles to tell the dispatcher where her house is located.
“I don’t go out much so I don’t know anything about the streets or anything,” she said.
During the parent's hearing, an officer testified the teenager said the siblings were never given breakfast, and the only food they ate were peanut butter, bologna, a frozen burrito or chips for lunch and dinner.
The siblings were so malnourished officers thought they were all minors, but seven were of adult age.
The eldest of the siblings, a 29-year-old woman weighed just 37 kilograms.
The seven adults are living in a house together, learning how to navigate the outside world.
The six children have been placed into foster homes, but reportedly remain in contact with their siblings over Skype.
“I’m sorry for everything I’ve done to hurt my children,” Louise Turpin told the court through tears.
“I only want the best for them. I look forward to the day I can see them, hug them and tell them I’m sorry.”
The children have requested their parents be incarcerated nearby so visitation may be granted in coming years.
With time already served, they will be eligible for parole in 2043.
Contact the author firstname.lastname@example.org