The Christchurch Terror Attack Hero Who Saved A 12-Year-Old Boy

When the Christchurch gunman unleashed hell during prayers at his second target -- the Linwood Mosque -- a 12-year-old boy inside stood up and began screaming hysterically.

His father had just been shot, and was clearly in a bad way.

Another man, Mohammad, 25, grabbed the young boy, and with some force, pulled him down onto the floor, and held him there.

“I said to the little boy ‘Don’t worry, Allah will save us, God will save us, be strong. Lay down’,” Mohammad, who did not want his last name published, told 10 News First.

“He was screaming, he was saying to me ‘my father is dying, my father is dying’, so I tried to hold him very strongly.”

Mohammad could see what was happening to other worshippers who had stood up, including some who raised their hands in a “surrender” or “don’t shoot” gesture.

“People that were screaming, he killed them, the gunmen killed them, so I was trying to save the young guy because I know that he was not able to understand what was going on.”

The boy survived.

Mohammad speaks exclusively to 10 News First. Photo: 10 News First.

“Yes, he lived. He lived with me, but I don’t know about his father.”

Mohammad said about 70 people had gathered in the Linwood Mosque on Friday afternoon. The worshippers had just bowed their heads to God once and were about to pray again, when the gunfire erupted.

“Gunshots were happening from everywhere,” he said.

READ MORE: Terror In Christchurch: Victims And Their Stories Begin To Emerge

Another worshipper, Abdul Aziz, chased the gunman, and hurled an EFTPOS machine at him, which appeared to cause him to get back in his car and drive away.

Mohammad believes is was this act that saved many lives, including his own.

Abdul Aziz, survivor of mosque shooting speaks to Associated Press during an interview in Christchurch, New Zealand. Aziz, 48, is being hailed as a hero for preventing more deaths during Friday prayers at the Linwood mosque in Christchurch. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

When the shooting stopped, he pulled out his phone to ring his wife, uncle and another young man he had invited to the mosque to pray with him.

“I called him (and said) ‘please don’t come, they are killing us. Go away from this place. Go far away from this place’.”

When help arrived, Mohammed says he wasn’t initially sure the armed officers who entered the mosque were police, as they were not wearing uniforms.

In shock, he says he asked one of them five times whether he was safe.

“Asked the police officer five times whether he was out of danger," Mohammed said.

“He said ‘We are police officer you are safe’.”

A floral tribute continues to grow.

Mohammad has little to say about the gunman.

“I don’t know what kind of person he is. He is not human.”

“I never thought it would happen in New Zealand. Nobody was prepared to see this incident in this country.”

Mohammed is originally from Bangladesh, but moved to Christchurch five years ago.

He says he is touched by the outpouring of support from the community

“People are really awesome, they love us. We love them. We want to stay together in a peaceful country.”

READ MORE: 'Kia Kaha': The World Mourns With Christchurch And New Zealand

READ MORE: Death Toll From Christchurch Terror Attack Climbs To 50 As Another Body Found In Mosque

Contact the author: