Two Arrested Over Strasbourg Attack, Days After Death Toll Rises To Five
Two people have been arrested and a third has appeared before a French judge as part of a terrorism-related investigation into the shooting attack that killed five people at a Christmas market in Strasbourg.
An official close to the investigation says the man who was in court is suspected of involvement in supplying the weapon that alleged gunman Cherif Chekatt used in the December 11 attack.
Chekatt, 29, died in a shootout with police in Strasbourg on Thursday.
READ MORE: Strasbourg Suspect Shot Dead By Police
The two detained on Monday were also suspected of "playing a role in supplying the firearm," said the official, who could not be named with the case ongoing.
Their arrests bring the number of suspects in custody since the attack to three; Chekatt's parents and two of his brothers were questioned by police last week and released.
The death toll increased to five on Sunday night after a Polish man died of his wounds in a Strasbourg hospital.
Barto Orent-Niedzielski, 36, lived in the city, where he worked at the European Parliament and also as a journalist.
The other casualties include a tourist from Thailand and Italian journalist Antonio Megalizzi, who covered the European Parliament.
According to some reports, Orent-Niedzielski fought the shooter and stopped him from entering a crowded club, possibly preventing more deaths.
Polish President Andrzej Duda paid tribute to Orent-Niedzielski on Twitter early on Monday.
"I knew him by sight. I am shocked. I had not realized that he was the one mortally wounded protecting other people. Honor to his memory. RIP," Duda posted.
In Brussels, the European Commission held a moment of silence on Monday in honour of Orent-Niedzielski and Megalizzi.
Meanwhile, more than 1000 people attended a memorial in Strasbourg's Kleber Square, according to the newspaper DNA.
The tribute ended with a minute of applause and a rendition of France's national anthem, La Marseillaise.
Lead photo: Getty