Warnings Issued After Drug-Laced Candy Given Out During Trick-Or-Treating

Officials in the United States have issued a warning to parents after several incidences were reported of methamphetamine and marijuana being found in Halloween lollies.

A five-year-old boy in Ohio tested positive for meth after going trick-or-treating in his local neighbourhood.

"I was putting my socks on, and I started to shiver," Braylen Carwell told CBS affiliate WBNS. "And then I couldn't move my arms or my fingers."

His dad, believing Braylen was having a seizure, rushed his son to hospital, by which point "the left side of his face was just droopy".

A urine test found traces of meth in his system, which his parents believe may have come from a pair of plastic vampire teeth he was given while trick-or-treating.

READ MORE: Why I Hate Halloween And You Should Too

READ MORE: Police Urge Trick-Or-Treaters Not To Vandalise Homes

Local police are investigating, but the Drug Enforcement Agency is urging parents to keep an eye out for lollies that may be laced with meth or marijuana.

"The Midwest has seen various types of marijuana-laced candies commercially produced and illegally distributed over the past few years," said the St. Loius Division of the DEA.

"Such items are often professionally packaged and can easily be mistaken for regular candy or baked goods."

Last year, the DEA noted that "marijuana-laced candies" were sold in packages similar to popular brand, like Keef Kat, Twixed or Rasta Reese's. Marijuana is not legal in the state of Louisiana.

Signs that lollies have been tampered with include unusual wrapping, unusual colours, mispelled labels, or odd smells, according to the DEA.

The urban legend of Halloween goodies being tampered with has persisted in American culture since the 1960s, according to Samira Kawash, author of Candy: A Century of Panic and Pleasure.

But in some cases, the fear has proved real. In 2000, a Minneapolis man stuck sharp needles inside Snicker's bars he gave out on Halloween, and a razor blade was discovered in a separate Snicker's bar in 2015.

No one was hurt in either case, but a moral panic over Halloween treats and warnings to 'check' them before eating has persisted.

Contact the author:

Lead photo: WNBS