Rival Protests After German Man Is Killed
It comes after an Iraqi and a Syrian citizen were arrested over a German man's death.
Hundreds of police officers have worked to keep right-wing and left-wing demonstrators apart in an east German city where an Iraqi and a Syrian citizen were arrested over the killing of a German man.
About 1000 left-wing protesters yelled slogans including "Nazis out" and "There's no right to Nazi propaganda" at a larger group of right-wing demonstrators in Chemnitz on Monday night.
The right-wing supporters retorted with, "We are louder, we are more", and "Lying press".
Officers in riot gear pushed demonstrators back as they tried to get at those on the other side.
Demonstrators from the right hurled bottles and firecrackers at the rival camp before starting off on a march. No arrests or injuries were immediately reported.
Both groups took to the streets after a 35-year-old German man was injured during a clash following a street festival and died early on Sunday. Prosecutor Christine Muecke said the slaying stemmed from a verbal confrontation that escalated.
Two men were taken into custody -- a 22-year-old Syrian citizen and a 21 year-old Iraqi citizen- and both were held on suspicion of manslaughter, Muecke said. She refused to provide more details about the suspects or the victim.
Hundreds of people also took part in spontaneous protests late on Sunday in Chemnitz, a city where almost a quarter of the voters supported the far-right Alternative for Germany party last year.
Videos posted on social media appeared to show far-right protesters threatening and chasing passers-by.
Of the estimated 800 people who took part in the first round of protests, about 50 were involved in violence and attacked police officers with bottles and stones, Chemnitz Police Chief Sonja Penzel said.
A Syrian teenager and an Afghan teenager were attacked in separate incidents but were not seriously hurt. A 30-year-old Bulgarian was also threatened, Penzel said.
Earlier in the day, Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman Steffen Seibert strongly condemned Sunday's violence.
"What was seen yesterday in parts of Chemnitz and what was recorded on video has no place in our country," Seibert told reporters in Berlin.