Protestors March Through Charlottesville One Year After Far-Right Rally

A day of hope, grief, anger and remembrance.

Hundreds of students and left-wing activists marched through the streets of Charlottesville, Virginia, as a rally to mark the anniversary of last year’s white nationalist gathering turned largely into an anti-police protest.

The protesters’ criticisms of both police and the University of Virginia underscored the resentment that still exists a year after torch-bearing white supremacists marched through campus, shouting anti-Semitic messages and beating counter protesters.

Several students said they were angry that the police response was far larger this year than last year, when people carrying torches at the white nationalist rally went mostly unchecked.

A protester confronts riot gear-clad police on the campus of the University of Virginia. Image: AAP

At one point on Saturday, dozens of officers in riot gear formed a line near where the rally was taking place, prompting many protesters to rush over yelling, “Why are you in riot gear? We don’t see no riot here”.

The standoff ended without any clashes as organisers urged the crowd to move away and begin marching off campus. Police, who appeared to be avoiding a confrontation, rode bicycles ahead of the march to stop traffic.

The newly installed president of the University of Virginia, James Ryan, apologised for the school’s inaction last year while speaking at an event to memorialise the anniversary.

Saturday’s march capped off a day of hope, grief, anger and remembrance in Charlottesville, one year after the “Unite the Right” rally brought racially charged street violence to the scenic college town.

The organiser of last year’s rally, local blogger Jason Kessler, has planned a sequel for Sunday in Washington after being denied a permit in Charlottesville.

Students from the University of Virginia (UVA), along with residents and anti-fascists, march across the UVA campus during a 'Rally for Justice' near downtown Charlottesville. Image: AAP

With hundreds of police maintaining a tight security perimeter around a 15-block downtown area, Charlottesville’s normally bustling business district was relatively quiet on Saturday. The buzz of a police helicopter overhead was a constant throughout the day.

The massive police response was not welcomed by everyone, including some residents and business owners who complained that the restrictions were an overreaction.

The result, however, was a day largely devoid of conflict. Authorities arrested three men for minor offenses, including a 64-year-old disabled man who appeared to deliberately challenge the prohibition on certain items in the secured area.

Many protested the large police presence at an overwhelming peaceful protest. Image: AAP

A group of anti-fascist protesters marched in the afternoon, carrying signs with messages such as “Good Night White Pride”. They stopped to pay their respects at the corner where a local woman, Heather Heyer, was killed when an Ohio man drove his car into a crowd of counterprotesters following last year’s rally.

While some businesses closed for the weekend, many remained open in a show of solidarity.

“It’s my town, and I’m not afraid,” said Karen Walker, whose floral shop Hedge was open on Saturday even though she did not expect much business. Outside her front door, a bucket of freshly cut flowers was available for passersby to take for free.

Many local residents also made a point of coming downtown to mark the anniversary. Kathe Falzer, 67, changed a flight to California so she could spend Saturday in town.

“I felt the need to be here and support the businesses,” Falzer said as she ate lunch at a diner on Main Street.