New Thai Cave Rescue Footage Shows Boys Carried Out On Stretchers

"The operation the world must remember. The operation the world will never forget."

New footage of the dramatic Thailand cave rescue has been released, showing the boys being carried out on stretchers over uneven rocks, as well as never-before-seen glimpses of the operation that almost ended in catastrophe.

The five-minute video, posted to the Thai Navy SEALs Facebook page, shows just how difficult a task it was to rescue the 12 boys and their soccer coach from the flooded cave.

"The operation the world must remember," they said. "The operation the world will never forget."

The five minute video shows divers kneeling in mud and washing off their goggles, before sinking beneath the water.

Other stills and clips show the boys being carried out on stretchers, at times winched to wires traversing the cave network.

Medics can be seen attending to the boys, all of whom are now recovering in hospital in the nearby city of Chiang Rai.

Other parts of the video show just how tricky it was to transport the boys through the cave, which divers have described as "like diving in sumps, like the S-bend on your toilet."

The cave is due to become a museum to remember the dramatic rescue, as well as boosting tourism for the region.

"This area will become a living museum, to show how the operation unfolded," said head of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakorn on Wednesday.

"An interactive database will be set up. It will become another major attraction in Thailand."

It comes after footage was released of the Wild Boar team sitting up in hospital, wearing face masks and waving at the camera.

'Wild Boars' Receiving Treatment In Hospital

Eight of the 12 boys are seen sitting up in the Chiang Rai hospital, where they will remain for at least a week in strict quarantine.

Wearing yellow, their parents can be seen waving and crying from behind glass.

On Wednesday it was revealed that the pumps inside the cave -- which had been working continuously to lower the water levels -- had failed just three hours after the coach was rescued.

Rescue workers told Ten Eyewitness News that the cheers that had followed the last successful rescue turned to screaming and shouting from further down the cave system.

Everyone managed to exit the cave safely, but if the rescue had been delayed for whatever reason, it could have ended in disaster.