TikTok's Warning Over Dangerous Skull-Breaker Challenge
TikTok is cracking down on dangerous pranks after a new viral challenge left a number of people seriously injured.
The video-sharing platform pledged to fight against harmful activities posted online in the search for likes.
"It's a violation of our community guidelines and we will continue to remove this type of content from our platform," it said.
"It's not funny -- and since we remove that sort of content, it certainly won't make you TikTok famous!"
The 'Skull-Breaker Challenge' is the latest dangerous prank to go viral.
It involves two people tricking a third person into jumping in the air before they kick their legs out from underneath them, making them fall over.
The victim then lands on their back, but in some cases, it can lead to serious injuries.
In February, a mother in the U.S. claimed her son had been the victim of the prank.
Valerie Hodson claimed on Facebook that her son was left with a head injury, stitches in his face and severe cuts to his mouth after being left unconscious by "friends" who had kicked his legs out as he jumped in the air.
"He landed hard flat on his back and head, as he struggled to get up he lost consciousness, he fell forward landing on his face," she wrote.
At least one school in Sydney has issued a warning about dangerous social media pranks, issuing a letter to parents.
"You may be aware of the worldwide phenomena of challenges being set by social media platforms such as TikTok and Instagram," Greystanes High School Principal wrote on Tuesday.
"This involves filming an event and then uploading the video to share on social media.
"In the interests of student safety and wellbeing I have spoken with students today regarding this issue and I would encourage you as a parent to also have a conversation with your child."
TikTok told 10 daily it did not allow content that "encourages or replicates dangerous challenges" that might lead to injury.
"We will continue to remove this content from our platform," a spokesperson said.
"We encourage everyone to exercise caution in their behaviour whether online or off."
TikTok has also placed a warning on videos tagged #SkullBreakerChallenge.
"The action in this video could result in serious injury," it reads.
Some users of the platform have taken it upon themselves to discourage others from participating in the troubling trend.
A video of a group of nurses in Germany warned against the prank, it has been liked more than 20,000.
Influencer Kelly KiKx, who has more than 580 thousand followers, also posted a warning video asking users to stop taking part.
TikTok has also launched an educational video series to "foster a safe, positive environment" on the platform.
The video series, 'You're in Control' has partnered with the apps' biggest creators to make videos about TikTok safety guidelines.