Advertisement

Historic Women's WWE Match Held In Saudi Arabia

WWE has held its first-ever women's wrestling match in Saudi Arabia.

WWE superstars Natalya and Lacey Evans went head-to-head at King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh on Thursday.

Lacey Evans and Natalya became the first women to show off their moves in Saudi Arabia. Image: Getty

The match was part of WWE's pay-per-view Crown Jewel event which was only revealed 24 hours before the start of the event.

"WWE today announced at a press conference at King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh that the first-ever WWE women’s match in Saudi Arabia will take place tomorrow, October 31 as part of Riyadh Season, which includes more than 100 events over a two-month span featuring world-class entertainment and sports properties," WWE said in a statement.

The match was part of Saudi Arabia's annual Crown Jewel WWE event. Image: Getty

Both competitors shared their own excitement about taking part in the historic event.

"The world will be watching. I am so incredibly proud to represent our women’s division tomorrow night at #WWECrownJewel. It’s time to bring your best, Lacey," Natalya tweeted.

Lacey also tweeted her delight and said she "never thought" she'd have the opportunities WWE has brought her.

"Tomorrow I get to show my little girl that hard work can bring you to history-making heights. I'm ready for this," she said.

Due to strict laws about women's clothing in Saudi Arabia, the wrestlers were not able to wear their usual costumes, and instead wore full-length pants and baggy shirts.

The crowd began chanting "this is awesome" as The Queen of Hearts and the Southern Sassy Belle showed off their moves.

At the end of the bout, the two women tearily hugged each other and were given a standing ovation.

For the record, two-time Women's Champion Natalya took the win after Evans was forced to tap out after a Sharpshooter.

The wrestlers were emotional after their historic bout. Image: WWE

Saudi Arabia hosted its first WWE event in 2014 and last year signed a 10-year plan with the Kingdom estimated to be worth $80 million a year.

Thursday's event is a far cry from 2017 when the Saudi Arabian government issued a public apology after images of female wrestling stars were shown during a broadcast of the Greatest Royal Rumble.

WATCH: Aussies Who've Conquered WWE

READ MORE: #YoureGonnaNoticeUs: Pro Wrestling's Epic Rise Down Under

The event, which took place at the Prince Abdullah Stadium in Jeddah, did not feature any female wrestling acts, but images of WWE's female stars were accidentally shown during an advertisement on big screens in the stadium.