Richmond Dwarf Giants By 89 Points In AFL Grand Final

From the second quarter onwards, it was all one way traffic.

Richmond have won the 2019 AFL Grand Final, their 12th flag overall, and their second premiership in three years, with a commanding win over the GWS Giants.

The final score was 17.12 (114) to 3.7 (25). It was the second-lowest score in a grand final by any team, and the Giants' lowest score ever in any match -- falling short of the 29 they scored in the famous "snow match" in Canberra this year..

So in their short eight-year life, the Giants have had their two worst days out in the year they made their first grand final. Work that one out.

But this day was, and is, all about Richmond, who came into this match on a hot streak, having won their last 11 games after an indifferent start to season 2019. They made it 12 with an exclamation mark.

All the big stars stood up for the Tigers -- Riewoldt (5 goals), Martin (4), Lynch (2), Houli and more.

And it was no surprise when Dustin Martin was again named winner of the Norm Smith medal for best on ground. He really was classy out there in everything he did. Example:

"Thanks GWS. YELLOW AND BLACK," Martin bellowed from the podium in a short but memorable speech.

For the Giants, nothing much went right after a brief period in the first quarter when they seemed to be clicking into gear, after Jeremy Cameron kicked the first goal of the game.

But the team that scores first in an AFL Grand Final had lost the past five season-deciders. And it soon became clear that streak would become six as Richmond clicked into gear.

It's not quite getting to the point where a team would be reluctant to slot the first major in a grand final, but it's got to be getting close.

Overall, the story of this day was that Richmond's ball movement was just too slick. The Giants tried to play a possession game which never quite worked and they seemed to have no Plan B, or if they did, Richmond nullified it.

At least the Giants were classy in defeat.

More to come.

READ MORE: AFL Grand Final Miracle: From Gaol To Goal In His Very First Game


Richmond took a 35-point lead into halftime in the 2019 AFL Grand Final, leading the Giants 7.5 (47) to 1.6 (12) at halftime.

And in the first couple of minutes of the third quarter, they had their chances to put the Giants to bed straight away. But three set shots -- including two by the normally reliable Lynch and Riewodlt -- netted just one behind and two out-of-bounds.

Lynch didn't miss the next time he got it. Nor did Martin when presented the chance to kick his third. Tigers 9.6 (60) to 1.6 (12). This thing is starting to feel like the 2007 Grand Final when Geelong beat Port Adelaide by 119 points.

Yep, two more to Richmond. Definitely starting to feel that way.

12.9 (81) to 2.7 (19) at the final change. Richmond fans would be having a lovely afternoon. Good luck to you if that's you.


This thing was tough from the get-go. Grand finals are always tough of course, but the 2019 decider between the Richmond Tigers and GWS Giants was extra tough and extra tight early.

The Giants literally didn't get the ball in their forward half for the first eight-and-a-half minutes. But crucially, they didn't concede a goal. Indeed they scored the first, through the massive left boot of Coleman Medallist Jeremy Coleman, who slotted from beyond 50.

But it was all Richmond after that. First they struck back through Dustin Martin, who had marked 30 metres out and kicked around his body after being allowed to play on -- a bad moment from the Giants who should have known better and made him take his less-preferred option of a set shot.

Then the Giants gave Richmond another chance. The Giants clearly had a game plan of controlling the footy. But they started over-using the ball with too many handballs, many of which missed their mark.

An indecisive handball turned the ball over to the Tigers, and Daniel Rioli kicked truly from 50 right on the siren.

2.1 (16) to 1.3 (9) at quarter time.

Then in the second quarter, boom! Three quick goals for Richmond. Martin of course got one of them in fine style. Cometh the hour...

Already, this was threatening to become a blow-out. The Giants just seemed to have no way to get the ball to their forward 50.

The Tigers added two more late in the second term. Jack Riewoldt got into the game after having an off night in the prelim final last week, and the Tigers list of goal kickers in the first half -- Riewoldt, Lynch, Martin and Rioli -- just oozed class.

The Tigers led the Giants 7.5 (47) to 1.6 (12) at halftime -- a margin of 35.