Advertisement

Cristiano Ronaldo Won't Face Charges Over Woman's Rape Claim

Cristiano Ronaldo won't face criminal charges after a woman accused the football superstar of raping her in his suite at a Las Vegas resort more than 10 years ago, the city's top prosecutor says.

Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson said he reviewed a new police investigation and determined that Kathryn Mayorga's (who consented through her lawyers to make her name public)  claim can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Cristiano Ronaldo of Juventus in action during the International Champions Cup match between Juventus and Tottenham Hotspur. Photo: Getty

"Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming," Wolfson said in a statement.

Ronaldo's attorney, Peter Christiansen, was travelling on Monday and not immediately available to comment.

Christiansen has previously said Ronaldo and Mayorga had consensual sex in 2009. He denied it was rape.

Attorneys for Mayorga, a former model and schoolteacher, did not immediately respond to telephone, text and email messages.

She has a lawsuit pending against Ronaldo in U.S. court in Las Vegas that accused Ronaldo or those working for him of conspiracy, defamation, breach of contract and coercion and fraud.

She says they allowed terms of a confidential financial settlement with Mayorga to become public.

Mayorga's attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, has acknowledged that Mayorga received US$375,000 (A$532,767) in hush money following the encounter.

He maintained that agreement was made under pressure from "fixers" trying to protect Ronaldo's reputation.

The lawsuit seeks to void the agreement and collect at least $200,000 more from Ronaldo.

Photo: Getty Images.

Ronaldo, who plays in Italy for the Turin-based soccer club Juventus, is one of the most recognisable and highly paid sports stars in the world.

Mayorga underwent a medical exam to collect DNA evidence shortly after she says Ronaldo assaulted her in June 2009.

She spoke again with police for the new investigation, and authorities this year obtained a sample of Ronaldo's DNA through Italian authorities.

Police said the initial investigation was closed in 2009 because Mayorga only identified her attacker as a European footballer, not by name, and did not say where she claims the rape took place.

The investigation was reopened in last year at the request of her attorneys, shortly before they sued Ronaldo.

If you would like to speak to someone confidentially about sexual assault, call 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732. If you are in distress, call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Featured image: AAP