Advertisement

Former NRL Star Jarryd Hayne To Move To Perth To Attend Christian Camp

Two-time NRL player-of-the-year Jarryd Hayne has been permitted to attend a Christian missionary school in Perth until his trial on rape charges in late 2020.

The former Parramatta fullback, who was twice awarded the Dally M medal as the NRL's best player, was in Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday where he was committed to stand trial in the District Court on two counts of aggravated sexual assault.

The 31-year-old has not yet formally pleaded but his lawyer has previously indicated he denies sexually assaulting a 26-year-old woman in Newcastle on the night of the NRL grand final in September 2018.

The trial is not expected to start before September 2020.

READ MORE: Jarryd Hayne Charged With Aggravated Sexual Assault

Hayne was initially granted conditional bail. Image: Getty Images.

Hayne was successful in having his bail varied to permit him to start discipleship training with evangelical Christian organisation 'Youth with a Mission' in Perth on Sunday.

As part of the program and to abide by his new bail conditions, Hayne will live in a male-only dormitory and compulsorily attend lectures over three months.

The course focuses on Christian discipleship in areas of personal growth and basic training for service within Christian missions, training director Caleb Brownhill said.

READ MORE: Jarryd Hayne Makes Bail Deadline After Sexual Assault Charges

That's followed by a three-month field assignment, although Hayne would require another bail variation to participate.

Jarryd Hayne of the Eels warms up in 2018. Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.

Two letters from YWAM Perth were presented to magistrate Robert Stone to assist Hayne's application, which was opposed by prosecutor Hamish Fitzhardinge on the grounds varying bail could put the community at risk.

Hayne went through the formal application process and disclosed the nature of his charges and background, his barrister Richard Pontello told the court.

Hayne is expected to return to Newcastle District Court on July 25 for arraignment.