The Moment You Knew NSW Were Going To Destroy Queensland

It was one of the great State of Origin tries.

And it was the highlight of a huge NSW win, as the Blues beat Queensland 38-6 at Optus Stadium in Perth.

The try came 13 minutes into the second half, after NSW had already put on a few nice tries in the first half to lead 18-6 at the break.

Speedster Josh Addo-Carr made one of his signature breaks down the left flank. He squeezed a pass infield to Mr Everywhere, James Tedesco, who made some handy yards before flick-passing to Tom Trbojevic, who scooted clear to score.


This was a very, very sweet evening for the Blues, who played what you'd normally think of as dry weather footy between heavy downpours in Perth, and who barely skipped a beat after losing halfback Nathan Cleary to an ankle injury.

"It's a vastly different footy team when you do all that stuff for each other," NSW coach Brad Fittler told Channel Nine from the sideline during the second half when the Blues were up 22-6.

It was clearly a reference to Game I, when Fittler was unhappy with the effort from one or two players, whom he subsequently dropped.

Queensland needed to change the pace and tone of this game early in the second half if they were any chance of winning, but New South Wales just never let them into the game.

The Blues continued playing with both flair and discipline, as Queensland conceded six penalties in a row at one stage.

With all that ball, there was only going to be one winner. And NSW just kept the tries coming, ensuring that they'll be overwhelming favourites to win the game and the series in Game III in Sydney on July 10.

Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans was philosophical after the match.

"You do move on mate. That's why this is the best of three games and we've got a chance to do it [in Sydney]. We'll brush ourselves off and be right."


It was 6-6 midway through the first half of Game II in the State of Origin series in Perth when a pretty standard move ended in a remarkable way.

NSW halfback Nathan  Cleary passed to James Maloney, just as he's done countless times at club level for the Penrith Panthers. The ball then went to Dragons enforcer Tyson Frizell, who barely held on.

Seriously, the ball appeared to be spilling earthwards like a cake of soap dropped in the shower. But somehow Frizell regathered it, clutched it to his hip, and powered his way through two defenders to plant the ball down with fury. Try!

Take a closer look at the precise moment he almost dropped it. How did he regather that?

Image still: Ch 9 footage.

The Blues scored first in an entertaining match in Perth when Tom Trbojevic soared to pluck a bomb from the hands of Queensland fullback Kalyn Ponga, in a move that would have pleased the AFL faithful at a packed-out Optus Stadium.

Then controversy!

In the 17th minute, Queensland replied through a penalty try. Should it have been? Shouldn't it?

Will Chambers was definitely impeded from getting to the ball. But the rules say the refs have to be certain he would get there in time and score the try. Could you really guarantee that?

Doesn't matter. The refs said yep. That was the try that made it 6-6. Then came the Frizell try. 12-6 to the Blues. And then?

Then an absolute moment of genius from James Tedesco, who literally ran around half the Queensland team from dummy half, before passing to Tom Trbojevic who crossed for his second four-pointer.

Blues 18-6, a lead they held till the break.

This was very much a first half that belonged to the Blues. NSW could actually have scored another try or two had the execution been a little slicker.

This is just one of the opportunities that slipped away on a slick Optus Stadium pitch in teeming rain.