Origin 1: Half-Time Wrap

NSW Blues lead QLD Maroons 8-6 at half-time of Origin 1 at the MCG.

What you need to know
  • 17' Penalty Goal -- James Maloney (NSW)
  • 21' Try -- James Tedesco (NSW)
  • 22' Conversion -- James Maloney (NSW)
  • 27' Try -- Valentine Holmes (QLD)
  • 29' Conversion -- Valentine Holmes (QLD)

The first 40 minutes of the 2018 Origin series has been played, and it didn't disappoint.

Big hits and big runs were the order of the day, and NSW have taken a 8-6 lead into half-time.

After the Maroons had defended their line for most of the first 15 minutes, Dylan Napa gave a penalty away for holding in a tackle, giving way for James Maloney to kick for two. And NSW had drawn the first blood.

In the 18th minute Felise Kaufusi had a break down the wing for the Queenslanders, but a dropped ball by Will Chambers soon put a stop that.

It turned out to be a costly mistake, when just three minutes later, the Blues ran in a 50 metre try. Making a run out of dummy-half, Damien Cook linked up with Maloney for a line break, before James Tedesco provided support and was sent on his way with a wonderfully-timed pass.

A riled-up Maroons skipper Greg Inglis put in a BIG hit on Tom Trbojevic, which sent the blood pumping and tempers flaring in the middle.

But it seemed to be the spark the Maroons needed, when Valentine Holmes caught an intercept and ran the length of the field to put QLD on the board.

From here the Maroons dominated play with a few nervy moments from the young NSW side as they defended their half for consecutive sets.

The Blues were given a lucky break when Dane Gagai was ruled to have put it into touch inside the goal. But a mistake from NSW captain Boyd Cordner soon had them defending their line again.

And because it's Origin, a push-and-shove was to be expected on the half-time siren.

After taking a while to get going, QLD dominated the latter stages of the half, NSW will be happy to head to the sheds to regroup and find the form they showed in the first 25 minutes.