Advertisement

'Do Not Be Here On Saturday': Tourists Told To Leave Ahead Of Horror Weekend

Thousands have evacuated fire-ravaged areas across Australia's south-east ahead of catastrophic conditions expected to hit parts of the nation again on the weekend.

On Friday, tourists and residents were urged to evacuate multiple areas in southern NSW and east Victoria, with temperatures in excess of 40C and strong winds forecast for Saturday.

People in the affected regions were told the conditions could be worse than New Year's Eve.

"If you are holidaying on the (NSW) South Coast, particularly the general area from Batemans Bay to the Victorian border, you need to leave before Saturday," the RFS warned.

The remains of a family-owned business in Mogo, NSW. Image: 10 News First

"If you are planning to visit the (NSW) South Coast this weekend, it is not safe. Do not be in this area on Saturday."

It comes as the death toll from the bushfire crisis continues to rise in the state. The fire season has now claimed 17 lives after NSW police confirmed the death of a 59-year-old man, who was burned while sheltering from a bushfire in a water tank in November.

In Victoria, a state of disaster has been declared as the navy continues its evacuation of about 1200 trapped tourists and residents from fire-ringed Mallacoota, in East Gippsland.

Premier Daniel Andrews says 28 people remain missing in Victoria, on top of two men confirmed dead, the latest a man found at a property near Genoa, in the state's east.

Evacuees board the navy's MV Sycamore in Mallacoota, Victoria. Image: AAP / Australian Department of Defense

In South Australia, where one person has died and dozens of homes have been destroyed this summer, a bushfire on Kangaroo Island has become "virtually unstoppable" after it jumped containment lines. An emergency warning had been declared across the entire island.

Late on Friday, the Country Fire Service also issued an emergency warning for a blaze in the Mount Lofty Ranges.

In Western Australia, a series of out-of-control bushfires on Nullarbor Plain have cut the state's only sealed road to South Australia, causing shortages in some Perth supermarkets and stranding hundreds of truckies and travellers at a remote roadhouse on the Eyre Highway.

A second home has been destroyed in Tasmania by a bushfire police believe was deliberately lit. Hot and windy weather will push the fire danger to very high on the weekend, with a total fire ban declared across much of the island.

The ACT has declared a state of alert as toxic smoke blankets the capital.

FOLLOW LATEST BUSHFIRE WARNINGS HERE:

Vic Emergency, Rural Fire Service, Tasmania Fire Service, WA Emergency, and South Australian Country Fire Service.

Detailed information on the RFS declared leave zones can be found here.

If you'd like to help, donations can be made to Salvation Army Disaster Appeal or Australian Red Cross.

To find your nearest evacuation centre, click here.

With AAP. 

Our live coverage of the bushfires has ended for Friday. Catch up below.

Follow us for updates on the bushfires from Saturday morning.