Private School Teacher 'Held Captive, Tied To A Chair' Then Hit By Truck On Motorway

Police are investigating the death of a man on a motorway on the NSW Far North Coast after he was allegedly detained and tied to a chair in a nearby home.

Police found Brisbane private school teacher Anthony Stott, 43, dead on the M1 near Cudgera Creek in the Tweed shire on Monday.

Police said Stott's silver BMW was found in the middle of the motorway about 2am on Monday. He was hit and killed by a truck about five hours later.

Stott had been a primary school teacher at St Peters Lutheran College Springfield since 2018. A school spokesperson told 10 News First he was a "popular and well-regarded member of [its] community."

"This is a very difficult time for the St Peters community and the College is offering support to Mr Stott’s family as well as staff, students and families," they said.

Brisbane man Anthony Stott was found dead on the M1 motorway on Monday. Image: NSW Police

The truck driver involved in the fatal crash, a 36-year-old man, was taken to nearby Tweed Heads hospital for mandatory testing.

Investigations led police to a nearby Cudgera Creek property on Kanes Road -- a couple of hundred metres from the motorway -- where they allege two people detained Stott and tied him to a chair.

"We believe he was detained against his will at that premises prior to his death ... these circumstances are very troubling," Acting Superintendent Brendon Cullen told reporters on Wednesday.

Cullen said it's not known how Stott got to and from the property. It's also unclear if he was released or broke free from the chair.

Police arrested a 38-year-old woman and a 46-year-old man at the property. They were charged with taking and detaining a person in company with intent to obtain advantage.

The pair faced court on Tuesday where they were refused bail to appear again on February 17.

Detectives are now trying to piece together Stott's final movements before his death.

Police recovered Stott's vehicle near the scene on the M1. Image: NSW Police

Cullen said the man had only just returned to Australia from a trip to Peru and had landed in Sydney last week.

He was last seen at Brisbane Domestic Airport on Sunday afternoon.

“We want to speak with anyone on the NSW Far North Coast or across the border in Queensland who may have had dealings with or had spoken with him since Sunday," Cullen said.

"We’re also wanting to speak with anyone who may have seen his vehicle, with NSW registration ANL 72Y, on Sunday afternoon."

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or online