'I'm Numb': Father's Heartbreaking Message After Four Kids Killed In Crash
A father has told of his heartbreak after three of his children were killed and a fourth was seriously injured, in a crash that left four kids dead and three hospitalised overnight in Sydney.
The dad of three of the deceased children, named Daniel, gave a short media conference on Sunday morning after the horror crash on Saturday night at Oatlands, near Parramatta in the city's west.
The group of seven children had been on the footpath on their way to buy ice cream.
"Police have been told the children were on the footpath when a Mitsubishi Triton utility allegedly mounted the kerb and struck the children," NSW Police said in a statement.
Samuel Davidson, 29, the alleged driver of the car, was charged with 20 offences, including four charges of manslaughter, after the crash. He allegedly returned a result of 0.150 after a breath analysis test.
Davidson’s case was heard at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday, where he did not appear and did not apply for bail.
His bail was formally refused, meaning he will remain behind bars for at least the next two months until the case is heard again on April 2.
Daniel said three of his kids had been killed in the crash, with his cousin's child the fourth dead. Another of Daniel's children was in hospital, along with two others. He said all the victims were related.
"I have a wife Leila, six beautiful children I have been blessed with. Yesterday, I lost three of my children. I had a cousin, Bridget, she lost her daughter as well. I don't know what to say," Daniel told media.
"I'm numb, probably that's how I feel at the moment. All I just want to say is please, drivers, be careful. These kids were just walking innocently, enjoying each others' company, and this morning I woke up, I have lost three kids."
Daniel paid loving tribute to his three children: Antony, 13, a "very handsome boy" who "loved basketball"; Angelina, 12, who he called "my little helper"; and Sienna, nine, "my little diva, little actress."
"They have gone to a better place," Daniel said.
Another of his children, aged 10, is in hospital but "she's ok", he said.
"We had six kids under the age of 10, 10 years and under. It was beautiful. We loved it," Daniel said.
"That was my full-time job. I say full-time father, part-time worker. They were my priority. And now they're gone."
Veronique Sakr, 11, was the fourth victim killed in the crash.
On Sunday, her devastated family described her as "vibrant, mature and full of life".
It's been reported the children were on their way to get ice cream.
"They were all coming over to get baby-sat. I told them, 'just go for a walk, little walk, stay together. You should be OK. Give a little bit of independence'... this is one in a million," Daniel said.
"Please, just, make sure you love your loved ones, your kids especially, because you don't know when."
Locals, friends and family placed flowers at the scene of the crash on Sunday morning.
Two church services were later held in the afternoon at the children's respective schools to allow people to pay their respects to the lives lost.
At 9.30am, police provided a statement to confirm the driver had been charged with 20 offences including:
- four counts of manslaughter,
- four counts of dangerous driving occasioning death - drive under influence,
- four counts of dangerous driving occasioning death - drive manner dangerous,
- dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm - drive under the influence
- dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm - drive manner dangerous
- two counts of cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle,
- negligent driving (occasioning death),
- negligent driving (occasioning grievous bodily harm),
- drive with high range PCA,
- proceed through red traffic light (not toll booth)
NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy told reporters that officers were speaking with witnesses.
"Tragedies do occur but in my time in policing, this is one of the most tragic involving young children dying," Corboy said.