Hero Citizens Used Narwhal Tusk, Fire Extinguisher To Stop London Attack

Stunning video has shown how the London Bridge knife attack was stopped by a chef using a narwhal's tusk as a weapon, while another man -- a convicted murderer on day release from prison -- sprayed a fire extinguisher.

A knife-wielding attacker stabbed multiple people at London Bridge on Friday before being shot dead by police. The man, 28-year-old Usman Khan -- who had been convicted 2012 for terrorism offences, and was released from prison in only December 2018 -- had strapped a fake bomb to his body.

Two people have been confirmed dead, with three injured taken to hospital.



'Immense Bravery': Bystanders Who Tackled Knife-Wielding Terrorist Praised As Heroes

Ordinary Londoners who showed "breathtaking heroism" in disarming a knife-wielding attacker have been praised by politicians and members of the public after they intervened to stop a terror attack at London Bridge.

It has now emerged that Khan was disarmed with the help of a convicted murderer, after both were at the same prisoner rehabilitation program.

Police and politicians had praised the "breathtaking heroism" of ordinary citizens who helped disarm Khan, with social media video previously showing how they intervened, but new video has now shed more light on some extraordinary circumstances.

Video shot by a witness shows one man chasing Khan with what appears to be the tusk of a narwhal, a large marine animal similar to a whale, while another man sprays a fire extinguisher to distract the knife-wielding Khan.

The man with the tusk has been identified only as Łukasz, thought to be a chef from Poland, while the tusk itself is thought to have been pulled from the wall of the nearby heritage building Fishmongers' Hall.

The man with the fire extinguisher has been named as a convicted murderer who was jailed in 2004 for the murder of a young woman, and is reported to be in the final days of a rehabilitation program which included him attending an event at the Fishmongers' Hall. Khan himself had reportedly been at the same event.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson praised the "sheer bravery" of those passersby who attempted to stop Khan's attack, and video of the narwhal tusk has lit up social media.

Khan had previously participated in Cambridge University's Learning Together prisoner rehabilitation program but had showed "no cause for concern", a source with knowledge of the program said.

A number of former participants, including Khan, had been invited to take part in a conference to mark the program's fifth anniversary at Fishmongers' Hall on Friday.

The Learning Together network gives students the opportunity to work with inmates as part of their courses and research.

Khan reportedly started "lashing out" in a room downstairs and was heading upstairs when he was tackled by the other conference-goers and "bundled out" of the front door past a room of unarmed people.

LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 29: Metropolitan Police officers set up a cordon near Borough Market after a number of people are believed to have been injured after a stabbing at London Bridge, police have said, on November 29, 2019 in London, England. Police said they were called to the stabbing around 2:00 pm local time. Video shared on social media after the incident showed armed officers opening fire on a man who had been pinned down on the bridge walkway. Metropolitan Police said they believed there were several injuries and that a man had been detained. (Photo by Peter Summers/Getty Images)

According to the source, all those involved in tackling Khan, with the exception of the man reported to be a Polish chef, were ex-offenders.

At the time of the incident they were all either on day release, or had been released on licence.

Police on Saturday were searching an apartment block in Stafford, 240 kilometres northwest of London, for clues. Khan was believed to have lived in the area after his release from prison.

Usman Khan was shot dead by police. Image: AAP

Karen Bosch, who was on a bus crossing the bridge, said she saw police "wrestling with one tall, bearded man" and then heard "gunshots, two loud pops."

She said the man "pulled his coat back which showed that he had some sort of vest underneath, whether it's a stab vest, or some sort of explosive vest, the police then really quickly moved backwards, away".

Queen Elizabeth said in a statement that she and her husband, Prince Philip, were sending their thoughts to everyone affected by the "terrible violence." She thanked police and emergency services "as well as the brave individuals who put their own lives at risk to selflessly help and protect others".

With AAP.