Woman Who Copped Child Rapist's Vile Calls Claims Police Didn't Help Her

A police officer who allegedly neglected his duty visited rapist Anthony Sampieri just eight days before the sex offender attacked a little girl at a dance school but failed to arrest him for breaching parole.

Senior Constable Andrew Bruce is accused of bungling an investigation into Sampieri after a woman walked into Kogarah police station on October 26, 2018, to report threatening phone calls.

The woman – who can’t be identified for legal reasons – said she feared for life but became frustrated with the officers.

“When I was initially speaking to these constables, they made me feel like I was overreacting … started to doubt myself,” she told the court.

Bruce – who took over the investigation - is facing two charges of neglecting his duty. Days after the initial complaint he identified Sampieri as the man behind the harassing calls.

The court heard an internal police warning came up when Bruce started looking at his profile.

“It warned him Sampieri was on parole and that he should notify the local community corrections office.” Crown Prosecutor Sally Stuart told the court.

Stuart said Bruce not only failed to report Sampieri to parole officers but failed to investigate properly.

“He didn’t look at his criminal history,” she told the court. 

A few days later – on November 7 – Bruce visited Sampieri at home but again failed to take any action.

Bruce then contacted the victim of the phone calls with an update and told her Sampieri’s name.

She asked whether he was dangerous.

“I asked if he had a criminal history … [Bruce] said he had a minor history but he’s not very well”

Distressed the woman googled Sampieri’s name with colleagues and discovered he’d been jailed for raping a 60-year-old woman near Wollongong.

Terrified she told the court she called Bruce back.

“I was just a mess because I had a feeling this guy was bad I started shaking and crying. I could tell by this man’s voice he was a nasty piece of work.”

The pair discussed a restraining order but the woman decided against it because she thought it would only aggravate Sampieri – who by law would be notified.

By this point the officer still didn’t have a formal statement from the woman - so nothing was done.

“I’d come for help, but I wasn’t getting any I got denied,” the woman told a magistrate.

The hearing is expected to last three days.