South Australian Banned From Owning Pets After Cable Tying Dog’s Mouth Shut
Chloe the German Shepherd was left with her mouth tied shut on a hot day in South Australia because her owner ‘got distracted’.
Residents noticed Chloe the dog lying on the ground with a cable tie around her muzzle in the south-eastern city of Mount Gambier.
They notified the RSPCA and SA police on March 9 after finding Chloe was struggling to breathe and appeared to be in distress.
They removed the cable tie and gave the dog water.
The then-11-month-old German Shepherd was rushed to a local vet. Fortunately, an examination did not find any injuries from the cable tie.
READ MORE: Uncle Defends Cop Who Stoned Wombat To Death
Chloe's owner, a 48-year-old man, was charged with ill-treating an animal over the incident.
In court on Friday, he said he had intended to remove the cable tie before he left for work that morning but got distracted.
It was heard the German Shepherd had been left with her mouth tied shut until her rescue at 1.30pm that day.
It's estimated temperatures in Mount Gambier on that day were between 23C and 25C.
RSPCA SA's chief vet Dr Brad Ward said tying a dog's mouth shut can severely inhibit its ability to regulate its body temperature.
“Panting is the main way in which dogs cool their bodies because unlike us they do not have an effective system of sweat glands,” he said.
“If you prevent a dog from cooling its body in this way, you put it at extreme risk of overheating, particularly in warm weather."
The owner was handed a good behaviour bond, ordered to pay $1600 in veterinary and legal costs and is banned from owning animals for two years.
Chloe has now been rehomed.