Tyrrell Detective Gary Jubelin Pleads Not Guilty To Making Illegal Recordings
Gary Jubelin has pleaded not guilty to allegations he illegally recorded conversations during the investigation into the disappearance of William Tyrrell.
Jubelin was flanked by high-profile former colleagues and supporters as he made a brief appearance at the Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney on Tuesday.
The former homicide detective was the lead investigator in the fresh search for three-year-old William Tyrell but was taken off the case earlier this year during a misconduct investigation.
He was charged with four offences under the Surveillance Devices Act in June.
In court on Tuesday, his barrister Margaret Cunneen SC entered not guilty pleas to all counts.
"In essence, I’ve been accused of recording four conversations. Those conversations were conversations I had with a person about the disappearance of William Tyrrell," Jubelin told reporters outside court.
"I had a lawful right and an operational need to record those conversations."
Jubelin said he made "no attempt whatsoever" to conceal the fact he had made the recordings and that "police were aware of that".
He said he did not want to have to retire from the NSW Police, but that his position with the force became "untenable".
"Unfortunately it was not what I wanted to do, but that was a direct result of the manner in which management treated me after these allegations surfaced," Jubelin said.
"I was not allowed to carry out the duties, I was taken off the investigations I was leading, and I could no longer continue to support victims and lock up the bad guys like I have done throughout my career."
Jubelin will return to court in September.