Man Who Stabbed Neighbour Found Guilty Of Terror Attack

Ihsas Khan never denied he tried to stab his neighbour to death, instead arguing he was insane and didn't know what he was doing.

But on Thursday a jury rejected that, finding him guilty of committing a terror attack over the ISIS-inspired incident.

Khan repeatedly stabbed Wayne Greenhalgh, who had been walking through his Minto neighbourhood in September 2016, causing him to run for his life into a nearby hairdresser.

With Greenhalgh bleeding profusely inside, other residents tried to fend off Khan and stop him from smashing through the glass door of the salon to finish what he started.

Victim Wayne Greenhalgh (right) and wife Bronwen outside court on January 30. Photo: AAP

Khan told police he wanted to "kill and be killed", but that he was an “unskilled assassin” as it was his first time hurting someone. But police didn’t shoot him dead, instead tasering him until he dropped the hunting knife he was holding.

In his original police interview, Khan told officers he wanted revenge for Muslims being killed in the middle east by western powers and was inspired by teenage terrorist Farhad Jabar -- who murdered police accountant Curtis Cheng in Parramatta in 2015.

At trial, Khan argued he was insane and had no idea what he was doing. However, a phone call from jail was played to the jury, to prove he saw that as a way to avoid a lengthy sentence.

"Some brothers advised me to go for the mental health plea… that would be better than being in jail," Khan was recorded saying to a friend.

NSW Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn, left, and Australian Federal Police Acting Deputy Commissioner Neil Gaughan leave a news conference in Sydney after the attack in 2016.

The jury took less than a day to decide he was an extremist who planned the attack. Khan faces life in jail, but a judge will hear from him first at a sentencing hearing later this month before he decides Khan’s fate.

Greenhalgh, who feared his life was over, is happy with the result. It’s a long time coming -- this was the sixth trial, after previous juries were discharged or couldn’t decide on a verdict.

“He was aiming at my head… there's no doubt at all he was aiming at my head. There was blood pouring out of everywhere and I screamed out help, help, help," Greenhalgh said.

Khan’s sentencing hearing is scheduled for May 23.