'Come Have A Go': Rape Case Against Dragons Star Jack De Belin Revealed
Jack De Belin says he’s not guilty, but the details of the sexual assault case against him make for disturbing reading.
Especially given the Dragons star has just had his bail conditions relaxed, so he can travel interstate to play footy when the NRL season begins.
It was after midnight on December 9, last year.
The 19-year-old victim had been dancing and enjoying a night out at the Mr Crown night spot in Wollongong.
De Belin and his co-accused Callan Sinclair, 21, were among the group she was socialising with.
Together, they decided to move on to the Fever night club, but -- according to a police statement tendered to court today -- De Belin and Sinclair said they need to charge their phones first, so they took a pedal cab to a nearby townhouse rented by De Berlin’s cousin.
The victim returned to the bedroom and shut the door behind her, while De Belin showered.
Police allege he then emerged - still naked - grabbed the victim, ripped off her top and pushed her onto the bed.
“Show us your tits”, De Bellin and Sinclair are both alleged to have told her.
As the victim tried to cover herself up, police allege De Belin then forcibly ripped off her shorts and underwear.
According to the police statement, De Belin then pinned his forearm across her upper body and put his right hand around her throat.
The victim claims he then started having sex with her without her consent and that Sinclair began to undress.
“The victim began crying, and trying not to look at them as she could not fight De Belin off”, the statement alleges.
It’s claimed De Belin then said to Sinclair “come have a go”.
The men then allegedly took turns assaulting the victim, with De Belin encouraging his younger co-accused.
At one point, it’s alleged the victim screamed in pain “Stop, it hurts.”
Police say there is a vast difference in size between the victim, who is a size six and of petite stature and weighs 51kg, and De Belin who is approximately 106kg.
Following the assault, police say the victim ordered an Uber to take them to Crown , Wollongong, where Fever Nightclub is located.
The statement says the victim left the night club and immediately contacted a friend, informing them of the sexual assault.
Patrolling police say they spotted De Belin in the same street around 2am and formed the opinion he was heavily intoxicated.
The victim attended Wollongong Hospital, and later that night police raided the home where the assault allegedly took place, seizing sheets, towels and clothing for forensic examination.
Police allege the victim sustained injuries to her legs neck lower abdomen and shoulder.
After revealing what happened to a friend, the victim went to Wollongong hospital, and later that night police raided the home where the assault allegedly took place, seizing sheets, towels and clothing for forensic examination.
It’s claimed the victim sustained injuries to her legs, neck, lower abdomen and shoulder.
In Wollongong court today, both De Belin and Sinclair entered pleas of not guilty to charges of aggravated sexual assault in company.
De Belin’s barrister David Campbell SC asked the court to relax his bail conditions so that he no longer has to report to Wollongong police every Monday and Friday.
Mr Campbell explained the Dragons star was contractually obliged to travel interstate to play NRL games, and could not do this if the bail condition remained.
“That’s opposed”, said police prosecutor Sean Thackray.
“If he is convicted of this offence he faces the prospect of a long custodial sentence.”
“If, in spite of his ties to the community, (De Belin) becomes fearful of being convicted... the temptation arises to flee the jurisdiction“, he said.
Magistrate Roger Clisdell agreed that “on first blush it appears to be... a reasonably strong case“, but ruled that De Belin was unlikely to flee “...given his high profile”.
If he did travel interstate, the Magistrate said, “...it is unlikely he would be gone for long, given he is a high-profile sportsperson who has been in the media for a number of years”
He continued a bail condition which required De Belin to hand in his passport and added a ban on the player attending any international points of departure.
Both De Belin and Sinclair will have their cases back in court on April 17.