Father-Of-Two Dismembered In 'Brutal' And 'Cold' Sydney Murder
A couple has been charged over the murder of a Sydney father whose body was found dismembered inside a home at Sadlier over the weekend.
The badly decomposed remains of 40-year-old Goran Stevanovic were discovered by police officers in a small unit in Eureka Crescent around 3.30pm on Saturday.
They’d been responding to a “concern for welfare” call from a relative of Khanh Pham -- the man who lived there.
Twelve hours later both Pham, and his girlfriend Kate Annie Lloyd were under arrest and charged -- Pham with murder and Lloyd with being an accessory after the fact.
In a media conference on Monday, Chief Superintendent Adam Whyte described the crime as “brutal” and said the discovery of the body was confronting for responding police.
“This was a very difficult crime scene for the police who attended and the investigators, and it’s one where we have had to utilise our welfare services”, he said.
“The matter was very cold in relation to the manner in which this has been perpetrated. ”
Police revealed Stevanovic went missing on January 8, and they believe he may have been murdered inside the Sadlier unit around that time.
Detectives tracked Pham to Lloyd’s unit at Warwick Farm late on Saturday night, but the couple refused to open the door.
After obtaining permission from the court, officers smashed their way inside at 2am on Sunday morning.
Neighbours told 10 News First a large number of officers spent most of Sunday pulling evidence out of the third-floor apartment.
Pham and Lloyd faced Liverpool court on Monday but did not come up from the cells nor apply for bail.
In court papers police allege Lloyd helped harbour Pham in the wake of the killing.
Chief Supt Whyte would not be drawn on a motive, other to confirm that the both accused were known to police in relation to drug offenses.
“It looks — at this stage — like the victim may well have... attended the premises. They may have a loose relationship but at this stage it’s probably too early to speculate,” he said.
Due to the extensive decomposition of the body, a formal identification won’t be possible until after a post-mortem examination on Wednesday.
Friends say Stevanovic was a father of two children but had separated from their mother.
He had battled addiction issues throughout his life but had been living at his parents home at Minto when he went missing.
The accused return to court on March 11.