CCTV Captures Brutal Assault On Two Men, Leaving Them Unconscious

WARNING: Disturbing Footage. The two victims aged in their mid-twenties were repeatedly punched and kicked in the head by a group of up to 20 men on St Kilda's popular foreshore.

Victoria Police have released disturbing footage of the December 1 attack, which appears to show a group of men standing over the pair as they bash and kick them.

The group then run off with one of the victims' phone and wallet, before emergency services and shocked witnesses rush to help the duo.

Police on Tuesday said the two victims and another companion were walking around the foreshore of St Kilda when they were approached by a group of  between five to 10 men, who began punching and kicking them.

Senior Constable Nathan Sheppard said the trio briefly defended themselves and tried to diffuse the situation by walking away.

"The group of males swelled in size to about 20, who then engaged in a vicious and violent attack on the victims," Sheppard told reporters.

The unprovoked attack left a 24-year-old Burwood East man with a broken nose and facial bruising.

A 26-year-old Wheelers Hill man, who police said attempted to come to the aid of his friend, was also kicked in the head and fell unconscious.

He suffered lacerations to his face.

The third victim, a 20-year-old Vermont South man, was chased from the area with minor injuries, police said.

"Unprovoked, random, senseless, brutal, are probably the best words that come to mind," Sheppard said of the attack.

Officers have now released security footage of a number of males who they believe can assist with their inquiries.

Sheppard said the security footage is "fairly telling". 

Police have released a series of images of men they wish to speak to over the incident. Source: Victoria Police

Police insisted they have stepped up their patrols around the foreshore, and said there was a lot of reassurance to the public with increased police presence in the area.

Sheppard said the victims were recovering well but it would take them some time to move on from what had happened.

Anyone with information, who recognises the males or who may have footage of the incident are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 0000 or submit a confidential report online at