Chris Dawson Set To Face Court For Late Wife Lynette's Murder

The husband of Sydney mother Lynette Dawson, who disappeared almost 40 years ago, is about to get on a flight from the Gold Coast to Sydney where he will be charged with her murder.

Chris Dawson, a 70-year-old one-time rugby league player, left the Queensland watch-house where he was being held in custody overnight around 6.30am on Thursday.

The former school teacher was sitting in the back of a car next to a police officer as he was being driven to the airport, after facing an extradition hearing on Wednesday.

Once back in NSW, detectives will begin the lengthy process of charging him with murder before he is brought before a Sydney court.

Fresh statements from at least two witnesses led to Dawson's arrest on the Gold Coast on Wednesday following the disappearance of his wife in early 1982.

The new evidence helped police "tie pieces of the puzzle together", NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.

Some of the additional material surfaced as a result of The Australian newspaper's investigative podcast, The Teacher's Pet.

Lyn Dawson during the Chequerboard interview. Image: ABC/ The Teacher's Pet

It's believed the evidence was provided by Dawson's teenage lover at the time -- who moved into the family home in Sydney's northern beaches days after Mrs Dawson disappeared -- and an ex-student of the school he once taught in.

Mrs Dawson was 33 when she went missing in January 1982 leaving behind two young daughters.

READ MORE: Police 'Tie Pieces Of The Puzzle Together' In Lyn Dawson Murder

Speaking to Studio 10 on Wednesday, Dawson's brother Greg Simms said the arrest was "extremely important" to the family, proving she did not simply disappear or abandon her loved ones.

"[Lynette's] eldest [daughter] is fully aware of her mother, she's convinced her mother didn't leave her," Simms said.

"[Lynette] was planning my mum's 65th birthday. A person doesn't send out written invitations and how to get to the house, when she's thinking of leaving."

Dawson's niece Renee Sims said Wednesday's events felt "like a bit of a dream".

"We've been waiting 36 years for something like this to happen, and for it to finally happen it almost doesn't seem real yet to me," she told Studio 10.

Detectives from the NSW homicide squad began reinvestigating Dawson's suspected murder in 2015 and sent a brief of evidence to the Director of Public Prosecutions in April this year.

"There was additional evidence that was identified and that has seen the DPP make a positive decision in prosecuting an individual for the murder of Lynette Dawson," Mr Fuller said.

"Statements from witnesses helped us tie pieces of the puzzle together."

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller addresses the media in Sydney on Wednesday. Image: AAP

Dawson, a Newtown rugby league player in the early 1970s, has long been a suspect in the case but denies any involvement in his wife's disappearance.

Despite the fact Mrs Dawson's body has not been found, NSW Detective Superintendent Scott Cook says investigators are confident in the strength of their case.

"There are other examples in policing history and history of the courts where people have been convicted of murder without a body," he told reporters.

Dawson's family said in a statement they had no doubt he'd be found innocent.

"We are disappointed at the decision of the DPP as there is clear and uncontested evidence that Lyn Dawson was alive long after she left Chris and his daughters," brother Peter Dawson said, according to the Seven Network.

Chris Dawson was arrested on the Gold Coast before an appearance at Southport Magistrates Court. Image: NSW Police
Ms Dawson disappeare

Detectives in September dug up the backyard at the Bayview home the couple shared in the early 1980s but did not find her remains or items of interest.

Fuller declared "we certainly won't give up on that search" for Dawson's remains.

Dawson, a former Newtown Jets rugby league player, has long denied involvement in her death after podcast 'The Teacher's Pet' thrust the case back into the public spotlight earlier this year.