Renae Lawrence Arrives Home After 13 Years In Jail

The plane carrying Bali Nine drug smuggler Renae Lawrence has touched down in Brisbane.

Lawrence, 41, was released from a Bali prison on Wednesday after serving 13 years for her role in a plot to import more than 8 kilos of heroin to Australia from Indonesia.

She was in Brisbane for a brief time before boarding a flight to to her home town Newcastle, NSW where her family lives.

A large media pack was at the airport in Brisbane waiting for her to appear in the arrivals area after going through Customs.

Lawrence is the first member of the Bali Nine to taste freedom after serving time in three Indonesian jails.

The drug smuggler remained silent and kept her head down as she jostled her way through a media pack to a waiting car after walking out the front door of Bali's Bangli Prison on Wednesday afternoon.

Wearing sunglasses, Lawrence was surrounded by heavily armed police and did not respond to questions shouted at her by journalists.

A black SUV with tinted windows took her to Denpasar airport where she was escorted through a VIP entrance before boarding the international flight back to Australia with her mother Bev Waterman and stepbrother Allan Waterman.

Lawrence was arrested at Denpasar airport in April 2005 with 2.7 kilos of heroin strapped to her body as part of a bid by a group of nine to smuggle a total of eight kilograms of heroin into Australia.

The media scrum as Renae Lawrence was released. Image: Getty Images.

READ MORE: Bali Nine Drug Smuggler Renae Lawrence Released From Jail

The two ringleaders, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, were executed in 2015. Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen died from cancer in May this year serving a life sentence.

The other members - Scott Rush, Michael Czugaj, Martin Stephens, Matthew Norman and Si Yi Chen - are all serving life sentences.

Lawrence's original life sentence was reduced to 20 years on appeal and reduced again for good behaviour and other remissions.

Renae Lawrence walks free from prison. Image: Getty Images.

However, the former panel beater from Newcastle is facing two outstanding police arrest warrants that have been outstanding since 2005 when she disembarks in the NSW city later on Thursday.

One warrant alleges she was involved in a high-speed chase in a stolen car.

But NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has indicated a deal with her lawyers was more likely than her being arrested on the tarmac when she flies in.

Featured Image: Twitter/Amber Austin-Wright.