Ambos Slam 'Cowardly' Attack In Sydney Bar

'While there have been more paramedics employed in recent times you can't prevent cowardice from drunk idiots.'

The union representing NSW paramedics as slammed as "cowardly" an overnight attack on ambulance officers who were treating an unconscious woman at a Sydney bar.

One paramedic was assaulted and others were threatened at the King Street Wharf bar in the early hours of Sunday morning with police called in to escort the crew and patient to a waiting ambulance.

The riot squad was required after a group of people with the 22-year-old woman became "agitated and aggressive", NSW Police said in a statement.

The NSW branch of the HSU says paramedics may need to start wearing body cameras to deter "idiots" from attacking them while they're working.

"While there have been more paramedics employed in recent times you can't prevent cowardice from drunk idiots," union secretary Gerard Hayes told AAP in a statement on Sunday.

Image: AAP.

"We need a mass education program rolled out but we also need to consider introducing self-activated cameras as a deterrent measure."

The union believes if people knew they were being filmed they'd be less likely to attack paramedics who were trying to help those in need.

The riot squad was also called to St Vincent's Hospital overnight where the woman was taken after being removed from the CBD bar. She remains in a critical condition.

"Officers are attempting to establish how the woman came to be unwell and are speaking with witnesses at the scene," a police spokesperson said in a statement.

A 27-year-old man was arrested over the assault on the ambulance officer and charged with common assault, obstruct or hinder ambulance officer by act of violence, possess prohibited drug and supply prohibited drug.

He was granted bail to appear at a Sydney court on September 19.

A second man, aged 42, was arrested and released pending further inquiries. He's expected to be issued with a future court attendance notice for hindering police.