'Senseless': Family Of Stabbed Pregnant Woman Release Statement

Pei-Jiun Cheah was stabbed multiple times during an alleged break-in at her home.

The family of a pregnant woman stabbed in Sydney's north have released a statement confirming both mother and child are stable after the "senseless, terrible and random act of violence".

Pei-Jiun Cheah, 33, who is seven months pregnant, was stabbed multiple times in the chest and abdomen during a break-in at her Mt Colah home.

She has undergone multiple surgeries at Royal North Shore Hospital, and is now in a stable condition.

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with attempted murder. He made no application for bail in court, and it was formally refused by the magistrate.

The 14-year-old suspect, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

"This was a senseless, terrible and random act of violence inflicted on a pregnant mother in her own home," said the family in a statement.

"We can confirm that Pei-Jiun is in a stable condition, including the child she is carrying, and is being closely monitored by the excellent doctors and health care professionals at Royal North Shore Hospital."

The family thanked the emergency services, police and medical staff, as well as acknowledging the "brave acts of kindness and care that the neighbourhood of Mt Colah extended to Pei-Jiun, in the short moments after the assault."

Police examine the crime scene at Pei-Jiun Cheah's home. Photo: Ten Eyewitness News.

Moments after the attack, and bleeding from her wounds, Cheah ran to her neighbour for help.

"She just knocked on our door and said she'd been attacked and 'help me, help me'," her neighbour told Ten Eyewitness News.

Other neighbours said they were "shocked" at the incident.

"We got a lovely community up here in Mt Colah," one said.

"It's nice to know that this community spirit is happening and that people are willing to step into the fray to give you a hand," added another.

A manhunt commenced after the alleged stabbing, but it was the teen suspect's parents who turned their son in after noticing he was injured. The boy, who cannot be named, was kept under police guard in hospital.

Ms Cheah's family did not comment on the suspect, "as the matter is under investigation by the NSW Police Force".

They asked for privacy during the "distressing time".

The boy was remanded in custody after making no application for bail when his matter came before a children's court on Saturday.

He is expected to next appear via video link before a children's court on September 25.