Breakthrough Murder Charge After Three-Year Disappearance

Sam Price-Purcell was last seen getting into a yellow Commodore sedan on February 16, 2015.

What you need to know
  • A 36-year-old man has been charged over the alleged murder of Brisbane man Sam Price-Purcell
  • Price-Purcell was last seen getting into a yellow Commodore sedan on February 16, 2015
  • His mother made an emotional appeal for information on the third anniversary of his disappearance

Homicide detectives have charged a man with murder in a “crucial breakthrough” more than three years after the disappearance of Brisbane man Sam Price-Purcell. 

Price-Purcell was last seen getting into a bright yellow SS Commodore sedan in the suburban area of Michelton on February 16, 2015.

Police believe he then travelled to Toowoomba. He has not been seen since and his remains have not been located.

Detectives investigating the alleged murder of Sam Price-Purcell on Monday charged a man with murder. Source: Queensland Police

Detectives charged a 36-year-old man from Leyburn with murder on Monday morning following a large-scale investigation.

“This was a crucial breakthrough for us and comes after a comprehensive investigation by detectives,” Detective Acting Inspector David Nicoll said. 

“We would like to thank those members of the community who came forward and provided us with information and assistance in this case.”

A bright yellow 2010 Holden Commodore SS Sedan in which missing man Sam Robert Price-Purcell got into on the afternoon of February 16, 2015 has been a crucial piece of evidence in the case. Source: Queensland Police.

It comes after Price-Purcell’s mother appealed to find those responsible for her son’s alleged murder on the third anniversary of his disappearance.

“Sam was the most beautiful boy and so dearly loved by all of us,” she told reporters.

Price said she had spoken to her son four days before he went missing.

"Our whole family grieve for him everyday. He is in our hearts and our thoughts everyday and we need to know what happened so we have some peace."

“If you know anything, please come forward and tell police so that we can bring this to an end.”

Det. Insp. Nicoll said the arrest “does not mark the end”.

“Importantly, Sam’s remains have not been located and police are appealing for anyone with information in relation to Sam’s murder or the location of his remains to contact police,” he said.

“We still have more work to do and remain committed to bringing all those responsible for Sam’s murder before the court.”

The Leyburn man is expected to front Toowoomba Magistrates Court later on Monday.