Second Person Dies Following Bega Attack And Carjacking

NSW police are expected to upgrade charges against a 20-year-old to two counts of murder when he faces court again over an alleged stabbing and carjacking assault.

What you need to know
  • A man who was allegedly struck with a hammer during a carjacking near Bega on Friday has died in hospital
  • A 20-year-old accused of carrying out the alleged attack, as well as the alleged stabbing of his grandparents in their Bega home is expected to have his charges upgraded
  • The accused is due to face court on Monday after being formally refused bail on Sunday

A 54-year-old man who was allegedly struck with a hammer during a carjacking on the NSW south coast has died in hospital.

The man was allegedly critically injured by a 20-year-old, who stands accused of killing his grandmother and wounding his grandfather in a stabbing attack in Bega on Friday.

Murray Deakin is expected to have his charges upgraded to two counts of murder and one count of wounding with intent to murder when he faces court again on Monday.

Deakin appeared in Batemans Bay Local Court on Sunday where his lawyer did not apply for bail, and he was remanded in custody.

His 69-year-old grandmother died and his 71-year-old grandfather was seriously injured following a stabbing attack in their Bega home on Friday afternoon.

Police began a large-scale man hunt after the elderly man and woman were found with stab wounds at their home on East Street on Friday about 3.30pm.

The elderly man flagged down a passing motorist seeking help after the incident.

His wife later died at South East Regional Hospital. He remains in a critical condition in  hospital.

The 54-year-old man who died on Sunday was allegedly assaulted by the accused as he carjacked the man's vehicle, about 20 minutes away from where the alleged stabbing occurred.

Police are still investigating the incident

Following the carjacking the 20-year-old allegedly crashed the vehicle and ran into nearby bushland, where he was later found and arrested, before being taken to hospital for assessment.

Police said the incident was very unusual for the area and had shocked the community.

"The local community would be quite upset by this incident. This is not something that is usual in this area," Chief Inspector Susan Charmon-Horton said on Saturday.