'Random, Senseless Act Of Violence': Three Dead, Woman Fighting For Life After Stabbing Spree In Melbourne
Three people are dead and a woman is fighting for life after a 34-year-old man went on a violent stabbing spree in Melbourne's eastern suburbs which police have described as a "random senseless act of violence".
Homicide Squad detectives are trying to piece together a series of devastating events that will have a significant impact on the community, according to Eastern Region Assistant Commissioner Glenn Weir.
The first incident happened about 10.40 pm at Jolimont Railway Station on Wednesday when a man from Roxborough Park approached two Protective Services Officers (PSO) and stabbed one of them before fleeing through the MCG.
The PSO sustained non-life-threatening cuts to his face and was transported to hospital for treatment. He will undergo surgery for a laceration to his cheek.
Weir believes the offender then boarded a train at Richmond and got off at Hawthorn. It was later confirmed by Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton that the man disembarked at Glenferrie Station.
A short time later, two women were found in a vehicle with life-threatening stab wounds in Coppin Grove, Hawthorn, about 11.20 pm.
One woman died from her injuries, and the other remains in a critical condition. Both women are yet to be identified.
Later, police were called to the nearby suburb of Kew following reports a 59-year-old man had been stabbed.
He was found with critical injuries just after midnight near Cotham Road and Queen Street. He was rushed to hospital where he later died.
By this stage, authorities had launched a large scale police operation which involved "multiple units", Ashton said.
The offender was then located on Walton Street in Kew and was called to surrender by police but refused to do so before approaching authorities armed with a knife.
"Police attempted to subdue him using number of options which didn't work. They [police] were forced to shoot the male offender and he's died at the scene," Weir said while addressing the media on Thursday.
Weir confirmed there is no evidence to believe the offender and the victims were known to each other.
"There is nothing to indicate at this stage that this is anything other than a random, senseless act of violence," he said.
Today, Ashton confirmed the offender was armed with two kitchen knives as well as a switch blade, similar to a pocket knife.
He had no parole history, was not on bail and had no warrants for his arrest.
Although, Ashton there was an "active intervention" taken out against the man by his estranged partner and her child which was active as of Wednesday night.
"On two occassions in 2018 the man entered a police station [and said] he had concerns ISIS operates in Mildura were out to get him," Ashton told a media conference today.
He added that counter-terrorism police had no concern about any connectivity with the terrorist group and that he was not a person of interest. Though, authorities will now search his home and computer.
"Police are now eagerly awaiting toxicology results," Ashton said, adding that this would help determine if the man had taken any illicit substances prior to the attack.
He also explained how authorities are investigating why he went on this "random" rampage and his motivations.
Police said they are not searching for anyone else in relation to the incident and there is no ongoing risk to the community.
Contact the author firstname.lastname@example.org