Advertisement

Perth Man Who Became Australia's First Coronavirus Fatality Identified

The Perth man who became the first Australian to die from coronavirus has been identified as 78-year-old James Kwan.

The news of his death came as four people, who recently returned from Iran, were confirmed as the latest Australians to test positive for the disease.

Kwan and his wife had been flown to Perth from the quarantine facility at Howard Springs near Darwin after being evacuated from the virus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship which was stranded in Japan.

He "passed away peacefully knowing his family loved him", his wife said in a statement at Perth's Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Image: Supplied

Health authorities say it is "almost inevitable" Australia will experience more cases of coronavirus in the coming weeks.

In an effort to prevent the spread of the virus, the government extended its travel ban, meaning foreign nationals who have been in Iran will be barred from entering Australia for 14 days.

Four new virus cases were confirmed on the weekend. Each person had returned from Iran before the travel ban was imposed.

Two of those cases are in NSW, one in Victoria and the fourth in Queensland.

A Victorian woman tested positive on Sunday after landing in Melbourne on Friday while a Gold Coast beautician was confirmed as having the virus on Saturday after she arrived on Monday.

National

READ MORE

Australia Confirms Its First Coronavirus Death After Perth Man Dies In Hospital

A Perth man is Australia's first coronavirus fatality, with authorities confirming the country's first death amid a rise in the number of cases nationwide.

"We are particularly concerned about Iran at the moment,' Chief Medical Officer of Australia Professor Brendan Murphy said.

"It would seem to be the highest risk outside of China and cases from Iran have been exported to a number of countries."