Two Dead, Multiple Injured After Sydney-Melbourne Train Derails
At least two people have died and several others have been injured after the Sydney to Melbourne XPT derailed in Victoria leaving some commuters trapped.
The Country Fire Authority said five carriages including the diesel locomotive derailed near Wallan station, 45km north of Melbourne, on the North East line about 7:45pm on Thursday.
Around 160 people were on board the train, which is believed to have been travelling southbound when it derailed.
There are reports the train's driver was among the people trapped on board.
Authorities have confirmed that two people died at the scene and a number of others were injured.
Shortly after 11pm, Ambulance Victoria released an update on the injured passengers, with 12 people so far needing to be hospitalised.
One person was being taken by road to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a stable condition, Ambulance Victoria said.
Eight people were being taken to the Northern Hospital with minor injuries while another three were being taken to Kilmore Hospital also with minor injuries.
"The air ambulance was not required," Ambulance Victoria said.
"A number of people did not require treatment."
Earlier, a spokesperson for the CFA said three helicopters had also attended the scene to help transfer the injured.
A local McDonald's and BP were being used as a temporary triage centre.
10 News First spoke to one passenger who was on board the train when it derailed.
Alisha Van Es said she felt lucky to be alive.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said it will be investigating the incident with a team due to arrive at the site on Friday morning.
A spokesperson for the Australian Rail Track Corporation said ARTC services have been suspended until further notice to allow emergency services to respond to the incident.
"We are working hard to support emergency services, NSW TrainLink and investigators to respond to this tragic accident," the spokesperson said.
State and federal transport ministers released a joint statement on Thursday evening saying they would be working closely to support those involved in the incident.
"A range of support measures will be available to passengers, crew and their families," the statement said.
"Our thoughts are with all those involved and their loved ones."
The train, which had left Central Station in Sydney at 7.40am, had been due to arrive at Southern Cross Station in Melbourne at 6.30pm.
It was running around two hours late at the time of the crash.
More to come.