Infant Dies After Allegedly Being Raped By Her 30-Year-Old Cousin At Wedding

All the news you need to know this Wednesday.

A five-month-old baby girl has died after allegedly being raped by her 30-year-old cousin during an Indian wedding in the northeastern city of Daudnager.

The Sun reports that the man asked the infant's mother if he could take her away to "play", but failed to return more than two hours later causing the girl's mother to panic.

The five-month-old girl was taken to hospital where she was pronounced dead. Image: Stock via Getty

The family enlisted some villagers nearby to help find the girl. Eventually, they discovered the man lying next to the baby who was allegedly unresponsive.

She was taken to hospital where she was pronounced dead. An autopsy will confirm whether the baby was raped.

It is understood that the girl's father filed murder, rape and kidnap cases against the cousin the following day.

Students at a school in the Northern Territory have been praised for writing heartfelt letters and offering gifts to coronavirus evacuees being held at a nearby facility in Howard Springs. 

The NT News reports children at the Good Shepherd Lutheran College donated books to keep evacuated children occupied during their quarantine.

It is understood there are 266 people at the former Inpex worker’s village after they were evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan last Sunday.

Another 200 Australian evacuees, stranded on the Diamond Princess Cruise ship in Japan, will be joining them later today or tomorrow morning after their flight touches down in Darwin.

A spokeswoman for the school told the paper students wanted to let those in quarantine know the local community was thinking of them during a difficult time.

“Concerned their neighbours may be bored or lonely, the children created cards, puzzles and joke books for the children staying at the camp,” the spokeswoman said.

Notorious vegan activist James Warden has avoided jail time for stealing an 11-day-old calf from a farm in Western Australia

The 25-year-old Direct Action Everywhere ringleader and Arkadiusz Swiebodzinski, 26, stood trial in Perth Magistrates Court, accused of breaking into White Rocks dairy farm in Brunswick and stealing the calf in October 2018.

The court heard Swiebodzinski drove the car, then Warden and Mihaela Herceg, who had earlier pleaded guilty, took the calf from an unlocked shed.

James Warden has avoided jail time for stealing an 11-day-old calf from a farm. Image: AAP

The calf, which they named Theodore, was taken to animal sanctuary Greener Pastures in Waroona but authorities later returned it to the farm.

The crime was filmed on a mobile phone and clips were played in court, including one showing Warden slinging the animal over his shoulders.

Warden was handed a 12-month suspended prison sentence for the crime, as well as for separately trespassing on a Pinjarra piggery and stealing a dead piglet, which he later displayed at a protest.

Sydney is cleaning up after a thunderstorm swept through the city overnight, delivering giant hailstones and felling trees.

The storm was so fierce that a man was killed while walking in the Rocks in Sydney's CBD after he was struck by a flying gas bottle.

Meanwhile, the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) believes thunderstorms are likely to continue during the early hours of Wednesday in central parts of the state.



Man Killed By Flying Gas Bottle As Sydney Lashed By Severe Storm

A severe thunderstorm has felled trees and triggered power outages across Sydney as damaging winds and large hailstones battered the central and southern parts of coastal NSW.

"Severe thunderstorms have eased over Sydney, but are moving over Newcastle. Severe storms continue across central and northwestern NSW, with the risk of destructive winds about the west," A statement from BoM read.

There are hazardous surf warnings in place for parts of the state and authorities are urging people to stay out of the water.

A horror holiday is close to being over for the hundreds of Australians stuck on a coronavirus-hit cruise ship in Japan.

About 200 Australians will be evacuated to a former workers' site near Darwin on Wednesday, to begin a two week isolation period to prevent the potential spread of the virus.

The passengers will be tested for the deadly virus five times before bunkering down at the Howard Springs facility.



Aussies Finally Home After 14-Day Christmas Island Coronavirus Quarantine

Most of the Australians quarantined on Christmas Island because of the coronavirus scare will finally wake up in the comfort of their own homes, as about 200 others stranded on a cruise ship prepare to evacuate.

The ship -- which has had more than 500 cases confirmed, including at least 16 Australians - has been quarantined at the port of Yokohama for more than two weeks.

The Australian evacuees are facing extra time in quarantine due to the number of recent cases on the ship.

The cruise ship evacuees will be kept separate from the hundreds of people already in isolation at the facility, who were evacuated from the Chinese epicentre of the virus.

Researchers have discovered the first 'articulated' remains of a Neanderthal in more than a decade.

An 'articulated' skeleton means the bones are still arranged in their original positions.

The discovery was made at the Shanidar Cave in Iraq and includes the upper torso and crushed skull of a middle-aged to an older adult.

Before this most recent discovery was made, the last articulated Neanderthal remains were unearthed at Sima de las Palomas in 2006 and 2007 and at Cova Forada in 2010.

Image: Prof Graeme Barker

Both sites are located in south-east Spain.

Dr Emma Pomeroy, from the University of Cambridge, said the new skeleton is more substantial than recent finds.

"So much research on how Neanderthals treated their dead has to involve returning to finds from 60 or even a hundred years ago when archaeological techniques were more limited, and that only ever gets you so far," she explained.

Israel Folau has pulled out of a Catalans training session with the Sydney Roosters in Barcelona.

Folau was supposed to join his Dragons teammates at the planned session at Barcelona's Olympic Stadium but was reportedly still recovering from his Super League debut last weekend.

"It was his first game for a long time," Catalans coach Steve McNamara told the Daily Telegraph.

"He feels like he's been run over by a bus.

"We have a two-and-a-half-hour bus trip to and from Barcelona so he stayed at home for physio rather than sit on the bus."

Folau scored an early try on debut for the Catalans and helped them to a 36-18 win over Castleford, earning cheers from Dragons fans during Saturday's match.

And you're all caught up with 10 daily.