Two Australians Test Positive For Coronavirus On Princess Cruises Ship
At least two Australians onboard a cruise ship docked off the coast of Japan have tested positive for coronavirus.
About 3,700 passengers and crew have been quarantined on board the 'Diamond Princess' cruise liner that is docked in the port of Yokohama, after a man who sailed on the vessel last month tested positive for the virus.
Japan’s Health Minister on Wednesday said 10 additional passengers have also tested positive.
Of those, two are Australians, the ship's operator Princess Cruises confirmed to 10 daily.
Screening began on Monday evening after an 80-year-old Hong Kong man tested positive for the Wuhan virus strain. He was not showing symptoms on board the ship.
A spokesperson for Princess Cruises said health officials have completed their first phase of checks of all guests and crew.
"The 10 people have been notified and will be taken ashore by Japanese Coast Guard watercraft and transported to local hospitals for care by shoreside Japanese medical professionals," they said.
There are 223 Australians among the 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew currently on board, Princess Cruises confirmed.
Foreign Minister Marise Payne said the government is making inquiries into the health of those other Australians.
On Tuesday, Princess Cruises said cruises scheduled to depart from Yokohama and the western Japanese port of Kobe this week would be cancelled because of delays related to the coronavirus checks.